• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Iwawoody.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 @ 6 weeks. Why you should syphon!

it's Voodoo Tom, the thing is he hasn't told you the magic words.

I guess a wave of the hand is good, but in my experience it just send most of the crud into the water column.

The way i do it with a syphon, is more or less a 100% guarantee that the crap gets sucked out of the tank.

You can stem the flow from the syphon by placing a kink in the hose and control it with the other had...really quite easy. My HC is very well rooted, and there's no sign of it getting pulled up.

There's just no way you can suck any of the fish or shrimp out either. :D

Here's a short clip to show how effective it is.

No real issues with loosing fish etc...It's extremely gentle is its suction.

please ignore all the pearling bubbles.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 Why you should syphon! vid added

Great video mate. If pictures paint a 1,000 words - your videos must paint a 1,000,000!

Do you think some of the 'crud' is also actually really fine particles of Aqua Soil? Not that it's an issue, but it may explain why you're apparently collecting so much 'stuff' in such a short space of time with relatively little bioload.

Thanks for sharing and awesome 'scape, by the way.

George Farmer said:
Do you think some of the 'crud' is also actually really fine particles of Aqua Soil?

Yes mate. It's crossed my mind.

After a few days without syphoning, the shrimp crap is distinct and much bigger. so yeah, it could be broken down soil.

I think also with diatoms that die off and drop to the bottom, this is a great way of ridding ourselves of them.

This is a big part of my routine now :thumbup:

A couple more images...

detail2.jpg

detail-1.jpg

Nice one mate. Next time I grow a dense carpet I'll consider something similar rather than relying on magic.

Love the DoF in the 2nd image, especially. f/2 with the 135?

How are you finding the Vesuvius in terms of growth and how it compliments the 'scape as a whole?

George Farmer said:
How are you finding the Vesuvius in terms of growth and how it compliments the 'scape as a whole?

It's a tough? mate. Hard to say just yet, how it's going to fit in. Easy rid though if it doesn't work....just cut it down.

George Farmer said:
Love the DoF in the 2nd image, especially. f/2 with the 135?

Thanks mate. yes, the 135mm F2, but @ f4 for that one.

I've my eyes on a UWA zeiss :shh: dont tell the wife :shifty:

Awesome photos Mark !!! :clap:
Please paste exif information for both. Did you add any extra light sources to get these shots or used the fact that water level was lower due to water change and therefore more light got into this area?

schraptor said:
Awesome photos Mark !!!
Please paste exif information for both. Did you add any extra light sources to get these shots or used the fact that water level was lower due to water change and therefore more light got into this area?

Cheers mate. There just quickys, taken whilst changing water.

Here's the info. The date is wrong, as i took this today...not yesterday.

@ George...I got the F stop wrong, it was indeed F2 :oops: Soz bud.

Capture-1.jpg

Thanks Mark for the info. Nice pictures for a quickies, can't wait to see final shots then :)

120 x 55 x 55 Why you should syphon! vid added

Thanks for the video, really nice to see it.

A lot of gunk that gets out he?!. :)

I don't know what is the secret of success, but the secret of failure is trying to please the world!

Good thing you have such a large tank, siphoning like that in my tanks I'd remove all the water in no time. Dennerle has slim gravel cleaners for both large and nano aquariums, pity they are so hard to find. Anyway you are doing a great job, I remember the dirt beneath the HC carpet in Viktor's tank. :)

Tank's turned out really nice and I'm waiting for the full tank shot, hopefully we'll see it before IAPLC 2012 ends. :)

Cheers,
Mike

clonitza said:
Tank's turned out really nice and I'm waiting for the full tank shot, hopefully we'll see it before IAPLC 2012 ends.

Hopefully mate :thumbup: I'm doing big shoot over christmas.

viktorlantos said:
Cheers Mark What a great shot again. Blade sharp. Love the DOF.
Keep up the inspirational stuff my friend

Thanks Viktor.

I'll get this over and done with before crimbo...7 week update.

Not a great deal to report. :D

Here's an image with my wife's new Christmas gift. I've bought her a canon 550d, and what a brilliant bit of kit it is for £500!

This is with the kit lens. I'll take some more images with it to put it through it's paces.

550d.jpg

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 @ 7 weeks and a Canon 550d

i see what you mean regarding the quality of the pics! (or is it just the user? lol)

great FTS, looks very chiseled, lovely mate.

Back