• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 Ohko Fire

Hi Mot! How's things? Very interested to know what you're doing with your 4ft; I'll email you soon for a catch up.

I've started adding plants, more needle java is on its way. There's peacock (towards the front) and flame (towards the back). Also added some more rock on top of the black egg crate.

359wpaa.png

4si79z.png

Very bold! I'm too clumsy to balance rocks like that, and worse when it comes to maintenance as I'd probably send it all crumbling and crashing and scratching the glass!

This looks great, how are you planning to deal with detritus building up behind the hardscape?
I reckon add some micro cories to stir up the detritus to be sucked by filter.

Thanks for the comments!

I should be able to syphon detritus from the voids with a small diameter hose (say 6mm). I could poke in down the black egg crate to the base of the tank, or come from the side (the pillar side walls have lots of cracks/gaps). I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

In the next few days I’ll be moving the 2ft tank and placing it to the left of the 4ft. I won’t be rescaping the 2ft straight away, so I’ll take the established filter and connect it up to the 4ft. With no soil the 4ft has had no ammonia to start the nitrogen cycle. Hopeful the additional filter will give the tank what it needs. Plus, I started dosing Seachem Stability yesterday.

The current filter is a Fluval g6. I first set it up without a reactor just to see it run (I had my doubts as I got it cheap second hand). But everything was ok, the flow display showed 100%. I then set everything up properly with a reactor (Sera 500). There are no elbows or reducers. The flow is now less than 50%. That’s a bit crap. I can see why some people run two filters on larger tanks.

So adding the extra filter (Fluval 406) will be good, but it won’t be permanent. Long term I’m thinking about getting a surface skimmer.

Sorry alto, didn't see your comment till now. That's a good idea in that it will solve the problem, but I'd rather not have a pump or any more pipes going into the tank.

When the g6 is hooked to my massive cerges reactor (2ft tall and 150mm wide) the flow rate runs at 100%. But when I set it up (about a month ago) I noticed a leak for the reactor's out take. I tried to fix it externally with aquarium silicone (with the filter off of course), but it didn't seal properly and water was going everywhere. So that's why the sera 500 is there. A few days ago I pulled the big reactor apart and resealed everything. I did a pressure test with the garden hose today and everything looked fine, so I'll remove the sera 500 and install the big one tomorrow. That ought to restore the flow from the g6. If it doesn't work out like that I'll probably run the 406 on the 4ft and the g6 on the 2ft.

In other news the 2ft is has been emptied and moved in line with the others. I've had the 406 from the 2ft running on the 4ft for a week now to help with cycling. I'll let it run for a month or so, or when ever the 2ft is scaped and in need of a filter.

room_zpsg9zp6yj3.png

Back