• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10l - Gone

Re: 10 Liter AquaEl

IMG_0826.jpg

Got some new HC and Marsilea through the post today. HC is in much better condition than last time, although I should probably have ordered 2 pots, not 1.
IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

Almost all of the trimmed stems have already developed new buds, but the back right corner seems to be the slowest. It's probably a flow problem I imagine, but I'm not sure what I can do about that at the moment with this filter in such a small tank!

I've also started using TPN+ rather than standard TPN as of today although I've had no problems as yet. Just interested to see if it makes any difference to the speed of growth - particularly the HC, which has been painfully slow so far.

I'm getting Green Dust Algae and Diatoms on the rocks and glass at the moment. Maybe because I was using TPN rather than TPN+? Anyway, I'm now using TPN+ which I have upped the dose from 0.3 to 0.4ml daily (James' Planted Tank guide says GDA is from low nutrients and CO2). The Excel has also gone up to 0.4ml daily. I've decided to do daily water changes too in the evenings.

I wish this HC would get a move on too! (old or new stuff!!) I'm guessing the use of TPN (rather than +) has been stunting the growth?

Tom

Nope, just Excel. I sold my regulator and solenoid when I thought I wouldn't be doing high tech tanks again... silly old me. I've still got the glass counter, diffusers, drop checker and FE though. Is there much difference in the effects of Excel vs. gas injection?

Tom

Tom,
Liquid carbon products are not CO2. They are basically gluteraldehyde which is a powerful disinfectant. That's why it kills things. Conveniently, CO2 related algae lack whatever mechanism plants have to metabolize the chemical and it's toxic to them. What higher plants are able to do is to uptake the chemical, and through some internal metabolic process, which only T. Barr understands, converts the chemical to CO2. Even Seachem didn't know how it works so they asked him to figure it out. I guess the data is proprietary so he's not talking.

So by virtue of the fact that the molecule has to be metabolized, with CO2 being the end product, there is no way it can be as effective as gas injection, which forces CO2 across the membranes via simple concentration gradient and which enters directly into the Calvin Cycle without having to go through any previous metabolic process.

Liquid carbon products are great to use as a supplement to injection in order to avoid direct CO2 toxicity but there is no way they can be a direct substitute to gas. The uptake can't be as efficient. If you're using only the liquid and you want faster growth then you're gonna have to dump a lot of it into the tank.

Cheers,

That's interesting about Seachem and Tom Barr. I didn't realise that's how Excel worked either - I assumed it was literally a liquid carbon that I was dosing, and so couldn't see why it was so much different to CO2.

I knew it could be toxic to algae, but didn't know why. Presumably, there is a point where it is also toxic to higher plants?

I may be looking for a new regulator then!

Thanks for the info,
Tom

Tom said:
..I knew it could be toxic to algae, but didn't know why. Presumably, there is a point where it is also toxic to higher plants?
OHHH YES. Just ask (Luis E.) ghostworld Green hair algae only on Rotala Wallichii

Tom said:
...I didn't realise that's how Excel worked either - I assumed it was literally a liquid carbon that I was dosing, and so couldn't see why it was so much different to CO2.
Well, yeah, absolutely the only form of carbon plants can use is CO2. No substitutes allowed whatsoever. All the enzymes and metabolic processes are specifically tuned to the electrochemical assimilation of the compound CO2. Similarly, the only form of Carbon you can eat is the hydrated form, i.e. carbohydrates. Sugar, starch, bread, potato, pasta...these all taste good and you body is tuned to dealing with these molecular forms. Try eating some charcoal. That's pure carbon but it won't taste good and won't be good for you either... :wave:

HC is a high CO2 plant and is definitely unforgiving of CO2 incompetence. If you want to grow lots of it fast then gas injection is the way to go mate.

Cheers,

Can plants carry out this magical CO2 conversion from Excel during daylight only, or can it happen constantly? I know the CO2 can only be used with light, but are the plants able to convert the Excel without light to then utilise the carbon later on?

I'm just trying to think of the optimum time to dose Excel, if there is such a thing. As you often say, the plants need the CO2 most at the beginning of the photoperiod, so if the plants can convert it without light, it makes sense do dose before the lights come on as you would with CO2 injection. If not, does it really matter when it is dosed?

Tom

Hi Tom,
I don't know the details of the conversion mechanism so it's not clear to me regarding the how and when, but according to JamesC's research the gluteraldehyde does have a half life of about 24 hours in water so it really wouldn't be of any value to dose it at night because it would have degraded to some extent by the beginning of the next days photoperiod.

Until more details become clear I reckon you should just dose it an hour or so before lights on just like the injection, and call it good for now.

Cheers,

I have just ordered new nano lily pipes from AquaEssentials, along with some 11" trimming scissors (am currently using kitchen scissors!), clear tubing, CO2 tubing and a CO2 7mm corner joint glass :D

Reason for my order was that I was cleaning my CalAqua nano lily pipes today, and managed to shatter the inflow pipe when I dropped it on the floor after making them crystal clean with limescale remover. Then, when trying to attach the outflow pipe to the tubing, managed to snap it in half and slicing the top of my index finger in the process. I've had a good day :/ haha! Possibly even more blood than my pufferfish bite, and more steri-strips! Laavly.

Tom

Hi Tom. Hei these glass things break so easily. One thing i wanted to tell about that clear tubing from AE. If you are getting it for a filter i found it too soft. Unless you wont have any bends. Wraping it in something inside the cabinet to the point where they come out helped to reduce that. Maybe 12/16mm would be better, mine is 17/22.
Regards.

I am thinking I'll make 90 degree bends for the piping like ADA have on their nanos at the gallery. It wont matter about reducing the flow because I think the large Eheim Ecco Pro is slight overkill for a 10 liter :D Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to sort that out. It's not in a cabinet though, so the pipes will have to go up the back and along my desk, then up to the lily pipes. I'll sort something.

It's the 9mm and 12mm I've got, which matches the lily pipes

Tom

Back