• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"10 times turnover"?

kilnakorr

Hello.

Was reading some old threads here and the name "George Farmer" came up a lot. So decided to check out a few of his videos.

In one of these videos he also talks about the general rule of 10 times turnover of water. He however seems to be calculating from rated lpr on the filters, so effectively he would run closer to 5 times turnover.

I'm currently not happy with my flow setup, as I feel my turnover, using powerheads, are pretty high in order to reach across the tank:
Canister filter: effectively around 500 lpr
Skimmer: Rated 300 lpr, pretty decent flow so seems right.
2x Wavemakers 4000 lpr each.

So I have 4800 lpr in my 350 l tank.
This seems quite a lot, but in a long tank it takes alot of power to reach the other end.
I even seem to have too little flow in the center of the tank...
So how on earth are anyone keeping a decent flow far less circulation?

I'd LOVE to have a more gently flow, but really can't see how to do this :bored:

Hi

I have a 500l room divider tank with all the equipment /input/outputs on one narrow side of tank and it has been a challenge. Use to have two spray bars
upload_2020-4-20_8-46-20.png

which worked fine but was ugly at one end, plus their was the plumbing :facepalm: and maintenance

So fitted twin Maxspect Gyres at one end and have never looked back

upload_2020-4-20_8-48-48.png

Easy to clean combined output of 18,000 L/H plus my FX6 it smashes the x10 rule. But with the aid of the maxspect controller which can have 24 schedules I have varying outputs and configurations thought out the day, so periods of gentle flow near the end of photo period and at night ;)

Thanks @Zeus.
18.000 Lpr is a LOT of flow.
Seems I'm overthinkg this, or perhaps it is just my limited options that is bothering me.

20200316-214700.jpg

Image above from newly planted setup.
Output and intake cannot be moved (rotating output is an option)
The skimmer has been moved to other corner with output in same direction as other output (also new model as eheims 350 is a pain to maintain).
The 2 wavemakers are placed rouhgly where the skimmer is at above picture. One pointing almost straight and a little down towards the front.
The other pointing towards the middle of the front.

I can't really put them at the same end as main output without blowing plants out of the tank.

Any bright ideas?
Getting a better(I Hope:nailbiting:) filter tomorrow, and might try a spray bar a long the back. Just not sure it'll be enough. Maybe with skimmer pointing at front glass in one end and a wavemaker doing the same at the other end?:crazy:

Back