• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1-2 Grow!/in-vitro plants in fridge?

Brian Murphy

I had a set back today when I started to flood my DSM tank, it leaked! So I now have pots of 1-2 Grow! plants sitting here until I get the chance to plant them in a day or two until the new re-siliconed tank dries. What I was wondering was, would it be better to put the plants in the fridge for a day or two? I've heard somewhere that it does help?

I picked up 4 pots of hc from the green machine they advised me I could keep them under the aquarium light or a well lit room for up to 3 weeks
I kept them next to the tank for a week and they were fine

ant

I had some in vitro that I couldn't get round to planting for a few days and I just kept them in a cool place.
I'm not sure whether popping them in the fridge will be a bit of a shock temperature wise.

Not all of them will do well in the fridge, the majority will though. The ones I had trouble in the fridge withe were the R mac and the A mini.

Hi all,
I'd just put them in a place with subdued lighting (N. facing window?) , and they should be fine. If you think of them like (propagating) garden plants from soft-wood cuttings you won't go far wrong.

Thirty years ago I worked for a large nursery and they were looking at tissue cultured Roses, but it ended up as a commercial non-starter because the tricky bit was the weaning from flask to compost, and losses were much too high.

It should be easier to go from flask to a wet environment, but I can see the advantages for the companies that produce "in vitro" plants if the transition from flask to pot/tank was after the plant had been purchased.

All though it sounds strange there is usually much less profit in growing a larger plant and selling it for more money, as against selling younger plants more frequently, there is even a term for it "growing out of profit".

cheers Darrel

Back