• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

”Cradle” 250 liter nature aquarium

finniche

7AF0B3BD-71E4-492A-BE21-EE3D1852B206.jpeg
FD8BF61A-2860-42DC-A2E2-64D34CA0CB2F.jpeg

Going local with the hardscape materials in this one. Finnish granite as rocks, branches from pine trees. Initial inspiration was an old Amano scape, I might have gone a little overboard with the wood and plant selection compared to that. Slow growers mainly in this one. I will do an update in 6 months or so.😊

I have read mixed opinions and experiences about conifer wood. These were completely dried out after 5 or so years on the forest floor. I have used juniper in similar condition before with no problems so I figured these should be OK too.

I have read mixed opinions and experiences about conifer wood.
I use mainly pine in my tanks, got a nice big piece in a paludarium that's been there for over 6 years now with no problems. Just make sure that any resin has had a chance to leach out (5 years with the Finnish climate should have handled that ;) ) and remember that it's much softer than many traditional aquarium woods, so it wont last quite as long.

Hi all,
Just make sure that any resin has had a chance to leach out (5 years with the Finnish climate should have handled that
I wouldn't worry either, as long as it doesn't smell too strongly of pine.
and remember that it's much softer than many traditional aquarium woods, so it wont last quite as long.
That is an advantage of both <"Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) and Juniper (Juniperus communis)">, if you can get them instead? They are both really hard and rot resistant.

This is <"some Juniper"> (J. sabina- below ) and there is a conifer stump in this thread, <Tom's Bucket O' Mud - The End>, that maybe Douglas Fir.

17308543861_4f251b9282_c-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back