• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

“Satori” - iwagumi 60x30x24 - UG

aquanick

Hi Guys..

Starting a journal for my iwagumi..

Here’s the hardscape :

60206_FAB_139_A_426_C_B9_BD_2_DBA02862_EDB.jpg

8345408_C_896_A_4888_9_B88_B4_E108_A789_FB.jpg

AA7_D9773_4_DAF_409_A_A9_FD_2_E673_DEBC24_C.jpg

C33_BF433_31_E0_42_EC_A13_A_4658_D4810_F5_A.jpg

free ebay image hosting

A long wait now that i have planted UG ( Utricularia Graminifolia), DSM for 6-8weeks to see how things turn out..

Planted pics -

A7_CFC287_A013_428_F_9_AA0_42_F78526_B82_D.jpg

1_D5_AA420_95_FD_42_B1_A825_158171959685.jpg

BD47166_C_593_E_4_CDC_99_A7_C1762_BDF4587.jpg

free ebay image hosting

Will keep you updated on Utricularia growth..

Also, special thanks to @Keith GH for helping with the hardscape..

Cheers,
Nick

Hi, Nick!
You probable know, should be very carefully with UG. Roots are very short and plant is not very well fixed in substrate.
Dry start is perfect but pay attention when you will add water and to the water flow. I have lost it completely because of this.

Wise advice..

i had to try UG, never tried before.. :)
but i have read that DSM is the most reliable way to get it going.. will monitor closely..

aquanick
A7_CFC287_A013_428_F_9_AA0_42_F78526_B82_D.jpg

Looking at this photo I can see you moved the two rocks I recommended and it certainly changed the Aquascape every rock blends into the surrounding rocks.

Keith:wave::wave:

Thanks @Keith GH

It was a great advice.. i did play around with positioning of the two rocks at the back, also tried other rocks of smaller sizes..
compared pics, and you were right, the balance was way better with these same rocks pointing inwards..! :)

Lovely layout, I have been away from the hobby since moving house 2 years ago... finally decided to set up a new tank, it will the same size tank, using similar setup as yours, was considering using UG only aswell. Something I never could get it established in my old tank as was always getting attacked by my shrimp. Hoping for more secess via a dry start this time round, I'll be keeping an eye on yours, best of luck.

Thanks @steveno

I am keeping my fingers crossed on UG.. trying for the first time..

If anything goes wrong, i will try HC and belem hairgrass..

I added today some fissidens and mini xmas moss on some black lava rocks which were visible on the layout, i had used black lava rocks to bank substrate and avoid substrate slippage..

Good idea with the rock under substrate, I got some old rock laying and wont be setup any other tanks so will use this to build up black of tank, quick question how litre of soil did you use in your scape, I be using ada amazonia but think I may need another 9litre bag, was hoping one 9litre bag would have been enough, but wishful thinking I guess. This stuff is quite expensive...

I have used a mix of amazonia and amazonia New.. slightly more than a 9L bag..

Cheers, see if I can manage with one bag then I can always order if needed.:). I got half a bag of powder left as well so might have enough. When I was don't a low tech, I used sand in black tights to save using too much soil. But will try lava rocks... in media bags... good with the mods, Ive used the yoghurt method and dry start which worked well.

Cheers, see if I can manage with one bag then I can always order if needed.:). I got half a bag of powder left as well so might have enough. When I was don't a low tech, I used sand in black tights to save using too much soil. But will try lava rocks... in media bags... good with the mods, Ive used the yoghurt method and dry start which worked well.

Hi Steveno, i have used the following methods before to play with height in a scape, all work well -

1) Use stockings filled with lava rocks, sand or any other inert medium, top it up with amazonia

2) Use thermocol as the base, add a few heavy rocks on top and top it up with amazonia

3) Directly use medium / large lava rocks, and then top up with soil.

I have used the third option in this scape, and used black lava rocks which blend with the substrate. To hide these rocks, added fissidens and mini xmas moss.

Hello Aquanick, just wondering if you will be using an inline heater or one that go in the tank, was going to use an Hydor but the looking their website it suggest over 100 liters tank? i ask as i have the same size tank as you.

I stay in Singapore, so do not need a heater at all..! In fact most hobbyists here buy chillers to maintain a 24-26 degree celsius range.

Guys need some urgent help here..

Mould / Fungal strike is spreading like wild fire..
I am airing and misting everyday, water level isnt too high.. what should i do?
:(

9_E6_AF26_A_32_B8_4742_9_DD5_37_FBC0_D6_D1_F8.jpg

869_DB281_42_A1_45_D9_8296_BCFF30_B95_EDE.jpg

Back