• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Scape (critique needed) PICS

tko187 said:
If i take out the middle rock, should i just replace with smaller ones?
yes

i was just trying to advise on rock layout looking at the link you provided.but guess i could be wrong.
elenmak is right of course.once planted you'll see the difference,with plants overhanging the rocks and moss stones.
the rocks won't seem so big.
i'll put my pistol away and shut up ;) .
goodluck.

Ok guys, you thought id fallen off again......nearly but i dug deep into my energy reserves and have connected all my hardware up and also messed with the scape. Got sick of looking at the old one so iv changed it here and there, i think im pretty happy with this now, i still have to add gravel and moss stones and more smaller rocks. Any way heres a quick pic.

fish001-1.jpg

In my opinion much better than the previous ones; it looks less artificial. Adding the smaller sized rocks will certainly give it a more natural look.

But after that, it is time to start planting and start enjoying.

Thanks for the reply, im much happier with it now. I see there is not much interest in this at all :( :( :? :? :oops: :oops: .

I have it all planted now, plants are as follows

HC

Postogomon Helferi

Parvula

Anubias bateri nana

Java ferns ( i think )

Crypt Wendeti

Crypt becketi

Sorry for the spelling mistakes, so does anyone want to see some pics, im still waiting on it clearing up.

A couple questions in the meantime,

1. I had this tank fully setup by 7pm, thats when i had the lights, filter , powerhead and co2 all connected and on...Hooray!! My question is should i leave the co2 on all night?

2. When should i turn the lights off tonight, i havent had time and also slightly confused about timers?

3. Should i add Easycarbo today?

4. When to start adding fertz and how many for a rio 180?

Thanks in advance, i do appreciate any help and feedback. Pics to come shortly!!

always post pics. it's a good looking scape.

tko187 said:
My question is should i leave the co2 on all night?

3 hours before lights on will do. or even 2

tko187 said:
When should i turn the lights off tonight, i havent had time and also slightly confused about timers?

you may as well switch them on in the morning for 6 hours per day.

tko187 said:
Should i add Easycarbo today?

4. When to start adding fertz and how many for a rio 180?

bang em in now, then you dont have to tomoz!

tko187 said:
When to start adding fertz and how many for a rio 180?

what ferts dude?

tank looks really cool, some nice wood in there and the stone placement and grading is nice n natural. Get some pics up though, always good to see a tank in progress :) Whats happening on the left as it looks a bit bare in the hardscape pic, is there a load of stems or something planned for it?

Thanks for the quick reply saintly and sturowall. I was wondering about fertz as in NPK i have all the dry fertz from aqua essentials, wasnt sure if i need to add these straight away. I am still waiting on a few plants for the left side i think Rotala it is called.

Does this Parvula grow high or is it a small plant?

Also is my hardware correct, i mean is it all right in plcement, my diffuser and outlet and powerhead all on the right with my inlet on the left, is this ok?

Ok im away to see if i can get some pics for you guys, back in 10 mins.

FTS

newscapeplanted001.jpg

left side
newscapeplanted002.jpg

right side

newscapeplanted003.jpg

Water still very cloudy, also having poblems with floating HC, is this normal, i used tweezers straight ones, am i supposed to use ones with angle, im finding it hard to re plant with water now in the tank.

Sorry about my rubbish photgraphy, any tips would be good.

the best thing to do with HC is just leave it alone and allow it to get a grip on the substraight i had loads ploat when i used it the first time so i planted it in indevidual stems (which took 5 hours for a 60L). this looks a lot better than the first pick you put up i would add some graded gravles to soften the rocks a little. but it looks good nice work :thumbup: :D

Thank you Mattyc for your kind words. Must be a task and a half man planting individually, i still notice also aquasoil floating and dropping on to my sand :arghh: Tommorow i will add moss stones and also graded gravels and stems in the left, this is hard work when you dont have the lungs. I have pulmonary hypertension.

A quick question, i havent added timers to any of my hardware so i am doing manually myself until tomorrow. I have turned the lights and hydor koralia pump off and all tthe co2 solenoid by unplugging, im not sure if this is safe though, as the regulator still has its needles sitting at where they were before, i did try turning the black knob on top of cylinder but it doesnt make a difference, will it be ok do you think ??? My jbl set never came with any instruction so im not sure. Please could someone help before i go to bed, dont want it leaking everywhere. I turned the black knob clockwise and anti clockwise and nothing. I will await a kind reply.

Thanks for looking.

tko187 said:
still has its needles sitting at where they were before,

it will until you release the pressure buy undoing the reg. don't worry.

keep the korolia running 24/7.

the only thing on timers should be lights and solenoid.

When planting hc, you can bury it, either individually or via clumps.

looks very promising. be sure to keep co2 high and at least stable while lights are on.

turn upward the koralia to runs paralel with the water surface. or even a little more.
check mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktorlant ... 6/sizes/l/

directing down to the sand you will never clear the water as the sand particles will float all the time.
better to not disturb the substrate with anything.

Saintly thank you again, i think i will need to buy a tripod to get some half decent pics. The only thing i will now put on timer is lights and co2, i have just turned the lights and co2 on at 12pm as it was a late night yesterday, will be buying timers today. I also added 5 ml easy carbo. Victor thank you also, i was under the impression that the HC was co2 hungry so thats why i was directing the pump downwards :lol: I have now changed it to as advised.

So it feels nice having water in my tank again, i sit and watch all night yesyerday, very relaxing, i had totally forgot how nice it feels.

When i do my water change tonight, should i turn the co2 off?

Also when to start dosing with EI (dry fertz)? I think it should be okay for a couple of weeks, am i right???

Water is a lot clearer today, will post some pics later (sorry they will probably be the same quality) will try my best.

Thanks again for the interest and advice. I really appreciate it, if it wasnt for this place i would still have my NO FISHING sign and bridge in the tank :woot:

I think this is slightly better picture, a bit clearer, trying to mess about with camera i think i need more lighting.

Anyway Day 2

newscapeplanted004.jpg

Side shot

newscapeplanted005.jpg

scape002.jpg

Gravels added also rotala!!! I know i cant see pics either, someone help pls.

FTS

scape001.jpg

always perform your W/C way before lighhts on, or before your co2 is switched on. or do the W/C after lights go off. never whilst lights are on. switch it off if you like, but if your on a solenoid, it should be off anyway. if 24/7 co2, then leave it on, it don't really matter.

i always fert from the off.

Thanks guys any idea of a ferting for this tank?

Great start! :D

tko187 said:
Thanks guys any idea of a ferting for this tank?
You have two main options - off-the-shelf, or DIY.

Off-the-shelf products are generally more user-friendly but relatively expensive, especially in larger aquaria. Popular brands in the UK are Tropica, Easy Life and ADA.

Tropica Plant Nutrition+ is the only all-in-one that contains everything you need in one bottle. For a typical high-energy set up, 5ml per 100 litres per day is a good starting point.

Easy Life and ADA have seperates bottle for different nutrients and situations. The ADA range are designed to be used alongside the ADA substrate system.

For DIY you have a few options. Estimative Index (EI) is very popular, effective and inexpensive, but requires some work when calculating dosages.

http://www.ukaps.org/EI.htm

Another option is to make your own Tropica Plant Nutrition+ type mixture -

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm

Good luck!

Back