• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crypt Balansae arriving from abroad

thefubar

I have bought 15 Crypt Balansae from Malaysia Company and i just wanted to know if anyone has any advice for any care before i add them to the tank?

I am expecting the usual "melt" and re-growth but just wanted to know any hints/tips for a sucessful transfer. Thanks.

If they're coming from abroad, you'll probably find they have no leaves. I've had balansae from Malaysia (AquaticMagic) and I've just planted the rhizomes, almost completely covered and they've done well :)

Thats who i have bought from too (wasn't sure if i could mention it :crazy: - so many sites, so many rules)

If they are rhizomes, what sort of spacing would you give them? about 2-3cm or more? Also will these produce runners (like my ech does) or do they produce shoots from the rhizome (more akin to java fern)?

In the listing this is what it says:
Crypt will be shipped with leaves removed, as the leaves will melt off in your tank due to different water parameters. New leaves will grow in 1 to 2 weeks time.
A healthy stump is firm upon arrival. Gently plant it into the substrate with tweezers and leave it alone for 2 weeks. Avoid drastic changes to water parameters, as it is trying to adapt to the new environment.

James

Thanks, i wanted to make sure they went in the right spot straight away as i've read about the problems with moving crypts.

I have a location in mind at the background/left-hand side of my tank (in front of the out pipe). But what do you think about spacing, i've had to replant Vallis and Ech after i put them too close to each other.

Picture006.jpg

The moss wall is already on the backwall (right hand side)
and the Vallis has been brought forward on the right hand side towards the front.

Thanks, Jungle-style is what i am after. But i intially bought a "plant bundle" which included plants i didn't like or didn't fit well with the rest of the tank.

So i am aiming for a predominantly crypt based jungle style (if there is such a thing!) as it seems to suit my slightly lower-tech approach to CO2 and dosing (currently Easy Carbo 5.4ml daily and Profito 3ml daily /TPN+ 15ml weekly) It's all in a Rio 180.

I have some Anubias Nana being delivered soon too and i've got some bogwood to put them on. I was going to add one to the main piece on the left and break up the "moss log" on the right too.

SteveUK said:
thefubar said:
Thats who i have bought from too (wasn't sure if i could mention it :crazy: - so many sites, so many rules)

They're a sponsor! :)

lol :lol: does that mean i missed out on a discount. I got a very good price for the plants and its great to know you've had a good experience with exactly the same variety. I can't wait to see them thrive. In my fairly low tech tank, how long before they reach the surface? 3/4 months about right?

A couple of pictures of how it looks after all the plants arrived.

CRW_4104.jpg

CRW_4109.jpg

CRW_4106.jpg

CRW_4108.jpg

Plus a random one of a Cherry Shrimp! :lol:

CRW_4120.jpg

Back