• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Comp_Nov09: Riven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gill

Name: Gill

Tank Dimensions (Height/Width/Depth): 13x14x12

Aquascape Name: Riven

Hardscape/Materials used: Slate, Shattered, Crushed, Powdered, Pea Gravel, Compost,

Plants: Moss from the Kitchen Roof

Fertilisation: N/a

About the aquascape: This is Scape was inspired by mountains that have constantly shifting shale. I wanted to capture that aspect of a Mountain.
So Again with a Hammer and Many Hits to fingers and Cuts from the Razor sharp slate I have this.
I did not want to add much planting and left it minimal.
I am not sure whether to add any livestock to this apart from Dapnia, thinking of some snowballs Shrimplets to represent Mountain Sheep.
I forgot to add that the cube Cost £1 from HODDY, last year

Photos:
Slate - Which I have alot of left over, incase anyone wants some
NOVCompRiven019.jpg

Cube, adding base of gravel and Sand
NOVCompRiven002.jpg

Starting to Add the Backdrop of the Mountain
NOVCompRiven004.jpg

NOVCompRiven006.jpg

NOVCompRiven007.jpg

NOVCompRiven008.jpg

Adding Moss
NOVCompRiven015.jpg

NOVCompRiven017.jpg

Added the Powdered Slate first and then started to fill untill covered. Ontop of this I added More Slate rubble to create the Shale effect i was Going For.
NOVCompRiven025.jpg

NOVCompRiven026.jpg

NOVCompRiven027.jpg

NOVCompRiven031.jpg

NOVCompRiven032.jpg

I am Very Happy with How this has turned out, as this was what i wanted to achieve with a Larger Cube than the Daphnia Petite.

I think it'll look awesome when the water clears :clap:
Did you climb on the roof to get that moss? :p

Thanks Guys, fingers are sore after all the cuts smashing the slate into shale.

I did use a Ladder as scrapped off clumps within reach, its the best place for the stuff to grow.

Curious to know how the moss does - I have a rather large roof and it's loaded with the stuff.

It Has Settled Down and Looks Really Nice.
I will be adding the inhabitants tonight after I collect them - Snowball Shrimplets

Looks ace, Gill. I like it with the hazy water - looks like the Cumbrian mountains, with swirling mists and low cloud. Perhaps you could play with this effect for some pics? OK - probably a stupid idea! :lol:

paul.in.kendal said:
Looks ace, Gill. I like it with the hazy water - looks like the Cumbrian mountains, with swirling mists and low cloud. Perhaps you could play with this effect for some pics? OK - probably a stupid idea! :lol:

Mmmmm That is actually A good Idea, will have a think about how to achieve that.

I know how to achieve a Low Lying Fog, thru experimenting with different powders and Pills. Found that one when a certain drug reacts with the water it becomes a fog that clings to the substrate, I tried it with different inhabitants and found no ill effects.

I am thinking of somehow doing a sliver of a stream running down far right hand side of the mountain. Just thinking about how to do that, Do you think Colored Kitchen Foil would look good,

Gill said:
I am thinking of somehow doing a sliver of a stream running down far right hand side of the mountain. Just thinking about how to do that, Do you think Colored Kitchen Foil would look good,

I have seen a number of ways to achieve something like this. One method, probably the most popular, is to use white sand. There's a great aquascaper out there who uses cut and polished stones to achieve water underwater. The most recent thing I've seen is just to remove it down to the glass where you want a stream/lake, so the reflection makes it look like water.

Personally, this tank reminds me of Snowdonia :)

aquaticmaniac said:
Gill said:

I have seen a number of ways to achieve something like this. One method, probably the most popular, is to use white sand. There's a great aquascaper out there who uses cut and polished stones to achieve water underwater. The most recent thing I've seen is just to remove it down to the glass where you want a stream/lake, so the reflection makes it look like water.

Personally, this tank reminds me of Snowdonia :)

Thanks for the suggestion, something to think about.

I can see what you mean about snowdonia.

Excellent sense of scale on this one Gill.
I think that getting moss from you roof is another good example of extreme aquascaping, to add to George Farmers freshwater diving :lol:
These picos must be keeping you busy, isn't that 3 now.

Cheers,
James

James Marshall said:
Excellent sense of scale on this one Gill.
I think that getting moss from you roof is another good example of extreme aquascaping, to add to George Farmers freshwater diving :lol:
These picos must be keeping you busy, isn't that 3 now.

Cheers,
James

Yep that's 3 and number 4 in the thought process.
Mmmm extreme Aquascaping, that's a new one.

Could not get any shrimplets tonight, wifey was not feeling well, so went to the labor ward to get checked out. All Ok though, but still maybe another week

Priorities changed recently and this was forgotten about

Taken Down as forgotten about and water turned into a milky smelly mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back