• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pond Soil!?!?!?

I've used Blagdons for my low-tech. Been up and running a few weeks now and all seems OK.

I have also used it a few years back in a 150l tank - despite numerous reports I had read talking about the negative aspects of using pond soil - I experience none!
I used a 25mm covering on the tank bottom & 30mm of fine sand on top, all I can say is my fish appeared healthy & my plants grew very well.
However I have read that the soil contains very little nutrients that will help your plants to grow?
I would probably not of used pond soil if I could of found a more recognized substrait but I live on an island with no decent shops & the delivery of complete substrates was very expensive.

Adam-of-Wigan said:
Are you feeding any fert? cheers for the reply :D

I'm experimenting by dosing Tropica Plant Nutrition (the non + version).

I used pond soil on a small low tech planted tank, but not sure how well it would fair on a larger scale/high tech

jonnyjr said:
I used pond soil on a small low tech planted tank, but not sure how well it would fair on a larger scale/high tech

My tank is 185ltr.

I would probably not of used pond soil if I could of found a more recognized substrait

Bearing in mind that im tight fisted and nothing but moths live in my wallet, what would you suggest as an alternative (around the same price as a bag of pond soil)?
Cheers for the feedback and advice chaps n chappets :thumbup:

Bearing in mind that im tight fisted and nothing but moths live in my wallet,

god i know that feeling :lol: i had used it aswell, it says on the bag contains enough nutrients for the 1st season growth then would benefit from additives being added, so i used it & bucked a load of jbl fert balls in while i was at the set up stage i reackon by the time the nutrients in the soil are used up the balls would carry on working.

cant say if its good or not as i only set up about 3 months ago but but my crypts are growing very well indeed

Back