• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting stems to grow straight up

Mortis

I have some rotala indica and wallichi in my tank and all of them seem to be growing in every direction possible other than straight up ! They arent growing 'towards the light' or anything like that, the light is right above them. Is there any way to get them to grow straight upwards ?

I also get a lot of side roots halfway up from the rotala, mainly the tall ones. I guess they grow these for extra support or anything. Is there anything I can do about this ? Most scapes I have sen with these guys have the plants growing straight up and without any signs of the roots.

I have some Didplis Diandra that does the same. Not worked out why yet - possibly because they're only been planted a couple of weeks in a low-light tank. All the other stems have sorted themselves out though.

The moving from low light to high ight ting is quite possible. The stems were in low light tanks in the shop when I got them. Can anyone else confirm this or suggest how I could straighten them out ?

I doubt it is the substrate bouncing light. Mine is a medium brown and quite dull. The stems are right below a tube and all of them are getin enough light either from the tube directly above it or the one next to that. Surprisingly the tallest stem is showing the most curly growth. It is growing sideways (along the light) and then twisting upwards, something I would expect a shaded stem to do.
Probably a common question, how do I get the rotala indica and wallichi redder ? The soil is iron rich and Im using the old AE trace for micros which has enough iron. I also have enough light, 5 wpg on a 6.5 Gal nano and DIY CO2 supplemented by Excel. It was in a low light tank in the shop with the same gravel Im using and yet the old bits were purple/red and the new growth is green.

Back