• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Is this blue- green algae?

Sarpijk

Hi all, I think I might have some cyanobacteria in my paludarium. It has appeared only in a small branch and has found its way upwards. I might have brought it with some aquasoil I used to plant some Bucephalandra.

I pretty sure this is cyanobacteria never had anything like that in my tanks before.

Any ideas on how to kill it?
UmhvmeY.jpeg

jatE5YE.jpeg

wZttA3U.jpeg

2kB8PHg.jpeg

I have read about the bad smell. To be honest it doesn't smell bad , if I could descride I would describe it as "earthy". Could it be just a green algae ? Should I provide closer pics?

The BGA aroma is not a nice smell but I wouldn't go as far as disgusting. It is very distinctive though, and once you know what it smells like you know forever.

Its the smell of earth which is not quite wholesome. The smell can stick to your fingers. Syphon as much as you can out of the tank and off plants etc.
Exactly I noticed the smell lingering on my fingers after I had washed it off. Unfortunately it isn't underwater.. This is on paludarium and has appeared on the land part!

Can you give the area a good clean, BGA will remove easily , but then you need to keep wash clean the area daily for a while, remove the suspect soil while doing

Back