• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to transition from High tech to Low Tech with minimal Alage issues

Aqua Hero

Hello, my high-tech scape has fully grown now and I'm kinda getting tired of the crazy growth and want to turn it into a low tech for less maintenence.

What's the best way about doing this with in minimal algae issues

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Well I sort of did this without an issue on my 500L tank 'Olympus is Calling', it was cause by Covid and lack of CO2 refills, as I was using a 6Kg about every six weeks,. I basically turned the CO2 injection right down, so it was very minimal compared to before, turn the light intensity right down and reduced the amount of ferts I dosed.

Well I sort of did this without an issue on my 500L tank 'Olympus is Calling', it was cause by Covid and lack of CO2 refills, as I was using a 6Kg about every six weeks,. I basically turned the CO2 injection right down, so it was very minimal compared to before, turn the light intensity right down and reduced the amount of ferts I dosed.
So you reckon I can get away with just turning off the co2 and dimming the lights of the bat.

I have a bunch of floating plants that can cover the entire surface

Every tank is different, plus some plants might not do very well or carpets. I got away with going from a high pH drop to minimal pH drop and my carpet was 50cm deep, can't remember How much I turned the Light intensity down.
Thinking about it it may not off been Covid but a general shortage of CO2 in the UK

Hello, my high-tech scape has fully grown now and I'm kinda getting tired of the crazy growth and want to turn it into a low tech for less maintenence.

What's the best way about doing this with in minimal algae issues

Maybe not go for the full 1pH drop, but reduce co2 to get a half pH drop.

Maybe not go for the full 1pH drop, but reduce co2 to get a half pH drop.
Any pH drop will help reduce the rate of growth with a corresponding reduction in light intensity, just make sure the pH is stable from lights on for at least the first 4 to 5 hours would be my advise.

So you reckon I can get away with just turning off the co2 [...]
I would not do that as you would suddenly starve plants. You will see some stunting and possibly some leave death. You need to be progressive so that the plants can start putting out new leaves adapted to a leaner CO2 environment.

I would not do that as you would suddenly starve plants. You will see some stunting and possibly some leave death. You need to be progressive so that the plants can start putting out new leaves adapted to a leaner CO2 environment.
I got away with it, but lack of CO2 drove me in my method

Back