• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Custom Biomaster

1558g according to my kitchen scales.

IMG_1371.jpeg

I should have said, the difference in media is negligible. I was running foams in trays one and two, bio media in three and four and Purigen and a foam at the top. I obviously had to dispense with a tray so it was tray two. One of the bio media trays was only half full so I put a half foam on top of it. I’m only down a half foam. 😉 😆

Biomaster 600 head unit - 1649g (including impeller, impeller cover and standard UK plug and lead).
Another, older, set of scales read 3 to 4 grams less, so would be fairly confident of a true weight in the 1645-1650g range.

Attachments

• IMG_20240721_192544_edit_237066278571117.jpg
    IMG_20240721_192544_edit_237066278571117.jpg
    738.6 KB · Views: 16
Sadly I just left the plug and lead on the counter so not included in the weight. I should have mentioned that I suppose. I’ll redo it at some point! 😉

FYI - I have sent an email to Oase to ask what the differences are, and whether they are interchangeable. When/If I hear back, I'll let you all know what they say.

There must be a difference as the 250 and 350 use the same impeller but have different power consumption and output. 14W 900L versus 17W 1100L. I wonder how technical they will be in their response? As I mentioned earlier I think it must be the size/number of metal plates that surround the impeller. These things are normally encased in a potting compound to protect them so without completely destroying the unit there’s no way to know for sure.
Manufacturers can be a bit cagey sometimes to protect their intellectual property rights so don’t expect too much.

Response from Oase:
Thank you for contacting us regarding the BioMaster impellers, the impellers are different sizes to help create the water flow/pressure through the filters, in general the bigger the filter the larger the impeller is needed to support it.

The only two filters with the same size impeller is the 250 and 350 model, as these operate at similar pressures and flow but the 350 uses more power to turn the impeller at a quicker rate to create more flow.

The 250 impeller couldn't fit into a 600 filter and vice versa.

As mentioned earlier the 600 impeller fits, and runs in the 350. It did make more noise than my standard 350 impeller but that may have been due to it being completely clean with no biofilm on it like the 350 that had been in use.
Unclear though whether it produced a greater flow.

Edit: I wonder, is the 250 quieter than the 350 and the 350 quieter than the 600 etc? Pumping more water in a very similar head you might assume so?

Back