• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Catching fish in a heavily planted tank

Heelllooo

Hello everyone,

I neef too catch a young male apisto in an heavily planted tank.

I've catch more than 50 youngs in this tank recently with a lot of patience but this male I just can't. I've been trying for 3 days.

He is very secretive and stays behind the plant mass most of the time and I can't get close to the tank without him disappearing.

I really don't want to dismantle the tank after all that effort.

Any tips or technique ?

How many other fish (if any) in the tank and what size? Depending on the size and number of the other occupants you might be able to set a plastic bottle trap of the type used for catching shrimp.

Ha ha couple of threads about fish being brainy . Try laying a couple of 4" nets in the aquarium for a few hours,good chance to fish will be unaware when you go to catch likely swim over one

I’ve been trying to catch some Triliniatus Cories from a tank this past week. They’re so fast. My biggest success has been to leave a medium sized net in the tank all the time, close to the front glass, and add an algae wafer just in front of it.

Then I creep up to the tank an hour later like a clumsy and oversized ninja. The fish are invariably on the wafer, and a bit of movement from me near the glass triggers them to swim straight into the net. Caught the last four like that.

I’ve had success with bottle traps in the past also - I just worry trying to catch Cories like that as they can’t get to the surface to gulp air if they end up stuck in the trap.

Last edited:
The current trap waiting for the last Cory to fall for it!

IMG_5128.jpeg

Thanks for all that the answers.

But I just catched it one hour after making the post. Miracle maybe.

I used two nets, one of them is full green the other white, I wait for the fish to be in a certain place in the tank with food and then try to corner the fish with the white net and push him into the green one which fish tend to see as a safe and maybe mistake it for plants.

I think every fish need different approch. Apisto are very tricky.. They're pretty smart and love to squeeze themselves into the tightest places.

For 3-4 days, introduce fishing net while feeding, let them not afraid of it. And after that while feeding them (you can put some food in it) , easily and gently catch them.

Back