• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Long time lurker, Hi?

CaridinaKid

Finally decided to join, loved all the advanced discussions and a bit sick of the argumentative nature of Reddit and Facebook communities.

I’m looking for tips regarding Bucephalandra- specifically more advanced, unconventional and ‘trade secret’ tips if someone could advise me.

I’ve been a Caridina shrimp enthusiast and breeder for a while now- I’ve always liked aquascapes and finally took the plunge a few weeks ago and got a high tech co2 fire-extinguisher injected tank after getting some Buce for the first time.

When I saw the blue shiny iridescence i knew it was the plant for me and Ive since obtained a nice collection- this is the only forum I’ve seen people actually recommending carefully planting (just) the roots in the soil, something I’ve also noticed makes my plants grow a bit faster.

I have a problem with black-beard/hair algae and have tried to manually scrape it off without much success (perhaps I should get an Oto?) . I have also been reading up on a few old posts about how/when to best cut the rhizome, to multiply the plant the fastest basically. If anyone has any more posts, photos/inspiration let me know. Also would like to know the individual differences between Buce variants, I know that some prefer emersed growth, that some grow quicker, some have more colours etc.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
Welcome!
I have a problem with black-beard/hair algae and have tried to manually scrape it off without much success (perhaps I should get an Oto?) .
I most definitely wouldn't get an oto to combat BBA as they don't eat it, getting rid of the source of the problem is a better way forward. If it is BBA (and I'm not fully convinced it is from the photo), water changes, cleanliness, manual removal and healthy plant growth will assist in its demise. Spot dosing with with Glut/APT Fix will rapidly accelerate this process but a lot of people frown upon its use for ethical reasons.

Providing the details outlined in the thread below will allow us/others to make a more accurate evaluation.
Cheers!

Back