• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do fertz need to be dosed at a certain time?

Scaperinc

Hi All ,
As some of you may already know I have two high energy setups one iwagumi and one NA style.

I work like most of us do and my lights turn up at 2:45 till 10:45 so when I get home around 5pm , I can enjoy my tank till lights off.

I always used to dose ferts in the morning before I go to work when lights are off and then I read and I think GF mentioned in one of his videos to dose the fertz at start of the light period which is not possible for me and I don't want to invest in a doser unless I really have to.

Recently started dosing when I came home around 5pm because I read that edta iron basically dose not stay available for plants at pH above 7 or something cannot remember.
Then also read that phophate uptake happens when lights are off in different forum I think it was Tom barr's forum.

Currently dosing CSM+B 20g salts mixed with 500ml deionized water,2ML 3 times a week and on alternative days dosing 2ml KH2PO4 on the other 3 days, 20g mixed with 500ml deionized water(no nitrates as my tap water has plenty).

Statement about iron is true I am 100% sure because I have seen @dw1305 and others
Repate that over and over again for so many people.

So main question is: does it matter what time fertz are being dosed? and if I am dosing let's just say 3-4 hours into the light period, dose that have any ill effects ?

Dose when convenient, I did that for years, every morning before going to work. Make it easier by getting loads of little 15ml bottles each with a ferts dose in and just empty into tank in the morning, so not messing around measuring things.

With dosing pump I dosed 1 hour before lights on.

The micro's are degraded by light but generally is not an issue.

As a proponent of stability, for me it would be logical to dose at the same time everyday, but the reality is it's a hobby and trying to follow some strict routine will diminish the enjoyment and it will become a chore (been there). I only work three days a week now (winding down) but on these days and also if I go out cycling I dose at 08.00 (lights on full 12.00 to 19.00) and when at home I dose when lights come on. I really don't think there would be any appreciable difference in plant growth in my tank dosing at the exact same time everyday but it may make an iota of difference to a competition/show tank, the main thing is for me trying to keep the nutrient levels stable and available to the plants throughout the week.
Obviously an Auto Doser negates all of the above problems.

Back