• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nymphoides Hydrophylla 'Taiwan' and EasyCarbo

Ajm200

Hi,

Please can someone with more experience answer a question for me on using EasyCarbo with Nymphoides Hydrophylla ‘Taiwan’?

I recently moved my filter, plants and fish from a 125l tank to 288l. It is a dirted tank. I have lots of experience with dirted tanks and had success with low tech/no tech dirted tanks of all sizes including some filter less.

My setup
New 250l litre tank
Fluval plant light running at 50% (can give exact settings if needed) but doubt it is relevant
Mature Fluval FX4 that has been running for at least 5 years and was used with the current fish
3/4 inch of John Innes No3 under 2-2.5 inches of gravel
Lots of mature plants that have been moved from the previous tank: Fast growing stems, epiphytes, crypts and various houseplants growing emersed.
Two huge lumps of new corbo wood soaked for 2 months prior to use
Scottish pebbles and cobbles from the garden centre

3 50% water changes a week due to tanins.
Using aquarium plant foods dry ferts at recommended dosing levels after each water change. The house plants do take up an excess that the aquarium plants don’t need. Will reduce water changes to weekly 30% at some points when the tannins stop leaching and the recently plants are established and actively growing again

Usually no CO2

Water parameters 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 8ppm Nitrate (the house plants take up most nutrients quickly)
London water so fairly hard

During a water change, I used EasyCarbo on a few spots of green dust algae that had appeared on driftwood that is bit too close to the light. I dropped the water level down below the problem area and used 4ml of neat easy carbo from a syringe directly onto the wood, left it 5 minutes then refilled the tank. It was used away from the plant that now has problems and when I refilled the tank the EasyCarbo would have been well below the max dose.

This morning there are holes in the lily leaves that weren’t there yesterday. I know EasyCarbo can cause some some plants like vallis to melt. Is this a known problem with Nymphoides Hydrophylla?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Back