• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

lo-tech DIY ferts doser

LFNfan

...but not so lo-tech as to be manual! I'm looking into a second dosing pump (for my micros), to go alongside my D-D P1 pump that I use for my macros.

Inspired by @ian_m 's comments (below) could a bare-bones solution be to DIY something with:
  • a DC peristaltic pump head + 12v DC motor (with eg 5ml / min pump rate)
  • an enclosure (hobby project box)
  • a 240v/12vDC transformer plug,
  • a bit of soldering and sleeving, and
  • a smart plug timer that works in 1 min increments?

Many thanks in advance!

The proper "big boy dosing" peristaltic pumps are these. Available in a whole range of dosing rates from less than 1ml per minute to over 10ml per minute.
http://www.williamson-shop.co.uk/
I used these in this.
DIY Project - DIY dual peristaltic dosing pump with alternate switching.
Just connect these to a mains timer running for a couple of minutes a day

You could build your own, probably not that much cheaper, if you include delivery and your time, than buying a second D_D P1 which would run from the same App ?

You could build your own, probably not that much cheaper, if you include delivery and your time, than buying a second D_D P1 which would run from the same App ?
It's definitely a trade-off. I'm managing my aquarium to a relatively tight budget, and managed to get a great deal on my D-D pump off ebay. I don't mind taking up another socket / timer slot for a DIY pump. I recon I could get mini Kamoer delivered for £12, an enclosure for £5 from Screwfix, and I already have the timer, the rest of the bits and tools. If it works I could even make another one and sell my D-D Pump.

Back