• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Question: Do people buy / sell tanks with a completed scape?

Little

Do people buy / sell tanks with a completed scape?

I’m referring to tanks that have well grown in, established and matured planting.

I’m approaching the point of my tank where I am considering something bigger but do not like the idea of stripping down.

Additionally, when I see some tanks being re scaped, I have thought to myself… I would have totally bought that.

Just wondered what people think about this?

It's not uncommon, so there is a market for it. But I suppose it depends on the appeal of the scape. I know Dave at AG sold one of his scapes lock stock and barrel to a customer. And I 've seen them up for grabs on eBay. I guess it's worth a go. You can always sell it stripped down if there are no takers.

It's not uncommon, so there is a market for it. But I suppose it depends on the appeal of the scape. I know Dave at AG sold one of his scapes lock stock and barrel to a customer. And I 've seen them up for grabs on eBay. I guess it's worth a go. You can always sell it stripped down if there are no takers.

Thanks for the reply 👍
I have yet to stumble into sellers as am still quite new to the hobby.

I’m not keen to sell. Just a thought process from not being comfortable stripping down something with so much time and thought invested. It’s interesting to hear how people feel about it.

I wouldn’t buy a completed scape as a lot of the pleasure for me comes from choosing where the plants and hardscape will go. If that’s all done then it’s just cleaning algae and water changes.

It’s possibly a problem when people over value the set up. “I’ve spent hundreds on plants and rocks and fish hence why the price is high.” My view is that it should cost less because I have to spend time taking it all apart and sorting through the stuff I want or don’t want.

Used to see it in the marine forums “comes with loads of coral you can sell on to make a profit!” If it’s worth so much profit, why aren’t YOU selling it?

Finding the target audience may be hard too. UKAPS is full of people who enjoy aquatic plants. They probably already have tanks, filters, plants, rocks etc.. They may want a new tank or a new filter but unlikely to want a completed product.

I used to do this @ coalville aquatics. I'd setup scapes let them settle and then sell them as seen. Let the person buying take lots of pix and videos incase stuff moved around. So they could put it back exactly. Stuff with bubblewarp to help keeps things inplace etc.
This was very popular when we did Hermit Crabs. Setup a few tanks for them scape and add a few 🦀. They would sell well. As parents could see what they needed and also what else they could add to enrich the environment for the crabs.
Did the same for the biorb tanks. Would set them up and scape them. And sell the whole thing as a complete setup. And was very popular at MA Derby.
There is a market for it, but needs to be promoted right.

Do people buy / sell tanks with a completed scape?
Yes, apparently:

1715462821533.jpeg

Couldn’t help myself. Sorry - I will show myself out, thank you sir! 🙂

Cheers,
Michael

George Farmer mentioned in one of his videos that he sold one and I understand that the professional scapers provide this as a core service. My own view is that I get pleasure not only in enjoying the scape as an aesthetic object but also in the creative process, developing my skill and knowledge, and curating the tanks evolution as an ecosystem.

Thanks for the insight Onoma. Honestly, Im feeling more aligned to your point of view now.
I feel a bit better about pulling my tank down or rather, transplanting it to a larger tank in the future.
George Farmers tank… I think that adds extra hero value.

Ive previously set up scapes for friends which they have paid for my time and energy.
I will normally ask their budget and size and buy a used tank, give it a clean and set up the filter (taking media from my filters) and plant it up etc.
This usually takes a week for the tank to sit at home to see any problems with the filter/water colum and I do water tests to esure the tank is ready for fishes.
I would then advise further on dosing regime, stocking levels or for a few of them literally just done it all.

That’s pretty cool mlgt.
Reminds me when I used to setup / build computers for friends in the 90’s / 00’s.
Sharing valuable knowledge and the much more valuable experience.

I’m currently planning to try and lift and shift my existing scape into a tank double the length and set up some complementary stuff next to it. But that’s probably not going to happen for several months yet.

That’s pretty cool mlgt.
Reminds me when I used to setup / build computers for friends in the 90’s / 00’s.
Sharing valuable knowledge and the much more valuable experience.

I’m currently planning to try and lift and shift my existing scape into a tank double the length and set up some complementary stuff next to it. But that’s probably not going to happen for several months yet.
Same. Installing windows on 30 floppy disks right? 🙂

I am lucky as many of the people interested are parents from my kids classes when they come and visit. The kids and parents tend to be drawn into the 350l tank and the various tanks I have in each of the rooms.
So curiosity goes from there. I tell them actually to set up a tank isnt that expensive and most important thing is teaching them about keeping the filter media clean and not to rinse with tap water.

Once you give them a guidesheet its pretty easy going. Ive set up around 10 tanks the last few years from simple 30l to 120l semi high tech tanks with the fluval co2 kits for those wanting specific plant growth.

If you want to get the most money out of a tank selling as a full set up is not the way to go unfortunately. You're almost guaranteed to make more selling individual bits unless you find one particular buyer who wants exactly what you've got, or that you've built the tank for on commission

If you want to get the most money out of a tank selling as a full set up is not the way to go unfortunately. You're almost guaranteed to make more selling individual bits unless you find one particular buyer who wants exactly what you've got, or that you've built the tank for on commission

It seems that way. Personally, it was not really about the money. I just initially felt a bit of sadness at the idea of stripping down something that took a lot of work to make. Also that maybe someone would enjoy it.
I have since pivoted my thinking and am much more comfortable with the concept of breaking down the tank / moving it to a larger one.

Back