• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on Setting Up Permanent Outdoor Aquarium / Tank Crack

shangman

So as some of you know I work at an environmental charity with gardens full of wildlife and ponds, and last year (as I don't have the space for a while to set it up at home), I lent my 90cm aquascaper aquarium to set up an outdoor "pond tank" using stuff in the pond and some branches from a dead hedge for our lovely aquarium-y event, and so our students and visiting school groups could raise tadpoles and get a closer look at life in a pond from a different angle. There was no equipment on it at all, it just got a waterchange once a month with biweekly topups.

Open.jpg

It worked really well, everyone loved it and the teachers said it was a great educational resource, and our event was sooo lovely too with pond dipping help from master of ponds @killi69 . Admittedly the event almost killed me it was so exhausting but it was the most beautiful day out with so many lovely fish friends involved. At the end of July before the end of term I broke the tank down and returned all the lovely baby froglets and newtlets into the pond again, and put the tank in storage without a hitch.

Last week while I was working from home a colleague tried to set it up again as frogspawn has been spotted... and of course one of the bottom corners managed to get cracked in the process. They only let me know after they'd tried to fill it anyway and had it leak :bored: Very (very) annoying, but these things happen. To me it looks like quite a bad crack that couldn't be easily fixed, but let me know if you think it could - the dodgy corner could go at the back, and I could get a wood stand made that hides the bottom with thins trips of wood. As the tank goes outside leaking isn't catastrophic like in a house, but it does need to function!

97dec250-ede4-4d63-9747-93840953454e.JPG

So now I'm planning to fix this tank or source another second hand tank and set it up again, but this time I want to do things a little differently to try to reduce the chance of this happening again. I want thinking of setting it up permanently outside as I think the biggest danger point is storing it and moving it each winter, but I'm wondering if that will destroy the silicon over time? It could remain filled with water or be drained. Potentially I could do something like get a cover made to go over the top and sides during winter to protect it a bit more.

Has anyone got any experience in doing something like this or advice? Let me know!

Well, anecdotal but my parents next door neighbour did one of those aquariums above the pond things, so goldfish could swim up and take a look. It’s lasted all the elements and has been there for 10+ years, more like 15.

Aquarium silicone is meant to have high resistant to UV damage, but I’m no expert on that.

Has anyone got any experience in doing something like this or advice?

Yes, I do have some experience with fixing cracked or leaking aquariums... But I can not judge the crack from your tank from a picture. Anyway what does not work is new silicone over old silicone where new and old touch will eventually delaminate again... But an MS Polymer might do the job, I've used TEC7 with success on several occasions years ago and the tanks are still tight... Especially if aesthetics is not an issue, if it's not in a directly visible spot something as the backside.

I've used it on the outside of an aquarium that had a completely cracked and gaping corner from top to bottom by glueing an Aluminium corner profile to the aquarium. Covered the entire inside of the alu profile with a layer of TEC7 and pressed it to the tank, used some masking tape to hold it in place and let it cure. Then removed all that's cured and pressed out with a Stanley knife.

Used it on the inside of an aquarium that had a dripping leak in the silicone, drained the tank enough to get to the leaking corner, and cleaned it thoroughly first with vinegar and a scouring pad (In case it has calcium and or algae deposit) then degreased it with acetone. And applied the TEC7 over the old silicone and glass. Waited for it to fully cure and the leak stopped and never leaked again, this tank is still up and running today. That fix was about 4 years ago...

Somehow and don't know how but TEC7 rocks the boat exceeding my expectations. So far my experience...

Still, for outdoor use, I would not recommend a rimless full-glass tank, it's simply too vulnerable for outdoor use when handling it accidents happen to fast. Also, the winters can be problematic, freezing temperatures make full-glass tanks extra vulnerable. Stands etc. made from wood that are not waterproof get crooked over time, especially in wet periods. And all is not stable enough in the long term for full-glass tanks.

But I made one from a partially shutter board with a glass front and back panel. The concrete shutter board is epoxy-treated and 100% waterproof (if not damaged). And it's very simple to make, I guess pictures will say more than 1000 words.

Made this in 2017 and it is still up and running outdoors today 7 years later, it's relatively forgiving and proofed about indestructible... All you need is a circular saw (With a sharp new blade, that doesn't chip off any coating) to cut the board and the slots to fit the glass. Then you do need to treat the cut sides with a coating to waterproof also this.
During freezing periods in the winter, I put in a 50-watt heater to prevent it from freezing solid.

Also made an outdoor filter box completely from this same shutter board in 2018 and this is still functional and waterproof today.

Good luck!... :)

Last edited:
Back