• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech nano - first try

TrevC

I joined UKAPS a little over a year ago with my main tank a 200l hi-tech natural style setup. I am now experimenting with a low tech planted nano cube to house shrimp and a small group of Rasboras. Tank spec is as follows:
  1. Superfish Qube 25 (30x30x30)
  2. Superfish HOB 50 (nominally up to 350 L/hr) - i trimmed down some of the filter foam and put 1.5 cm of matrix at the bottom instead)
  3. Qube LED 25 (1800 lum, 7800k)
Substrate:
  1. Tropical aquasoil with Tropica aquasoil powder above
  2. Small front corner 'beach' using Hugo Kamishi natural quartz sand
Hardscape: dragon stone with Redmore wood (thanks to Aquarium Gardens for advice on this)

Start-up:
  1. For 2-3 weeks I soaked the wood and cleaned the stone
  2. Over the next three weeks I ran a dark start. Interestingly I had quite a bit of furry slime come out of the wood during this period. I guess it leaches out more readily at the heated temp of 23C versus the ambient temp in my garage in UK winter! (lesson #1)
Planting plan:
  1. Anubias mini coin
  2. Buce (caterina, Lamandau, Kedagang)
  3. Narrow leaf Java fern 'centrepiece'
  4. Crypt parva for middle/front
  5. Rear stems (Rotala R, Limnophila heterophylla, Hybrophila Polysperma)
  6. Weeping moss
  7. Frogbit floating plants
Water: will use 50:50 RO/tap mix
Fertilisation plan: Put some API root tabs at the back for the stems. Will use lean approach and just an occasional dose of all-in-one liquid fert - play it by ear.

Attachments

• Nano 140324.JPG
    Nano 140324.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 96
One week on and six Cherry Shrimps safely acclimated. In addition to some NTLabs Shrimp Enhancer they seem to be making their way through the bacteria feeding on the sugars leached from the wood. The Frogbit tendrils have gone from 2 cm long up to 25cm - so will be trimming those in good time. The Limnophila heterophylla back right has about trebled in height. Elsewhere, a couple of leaves have started to melt so have been removed (one on the Anubias and one on the H Polysperma).

In terms of livestock, my original plan was shrimp and a small group of 2-4 nano fish (eg Chilli Rasboras). Would be interest in anyone's thoughts/experience here as some hobbyists in on-line forums say no fish of any size should be put in a 25L tank.

In addition, I'm thinking of perhaps one Nerite snail to help with clean up. I keep them in my larger rimmed tank but not keen on them climbing out of this small rimless one into oblivion!!

Attachments

• Nano 230324.jpg
    Nano 230324.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Regarding the nerite. There is a product called “snail safe”. It’s a grease that you put on the top of the tank to stop snails climbing out. I assume its slightly salty or something. Been working fine for my clithorn nerite.

About 4 weeks gone now. A little brown algae on the glass and in the filter but easily removed. The right hand Limnophila heterophylla has needed two trimmings and quite a lot of Frogbit has been removed before it completely covers the tank. Weeping moss is getting a spurt on and will probably need its own trimming session in a few weeks. As expected, the Anubias mini coin, Buces and Java Fern are taking their own sweet time. In terms of livestock, I added (in two batches) a total of 12 Cherry shrimp and 5 Black Gold shrimp but lost 2 of the latter after several days despite careful acclimation. No plans for anything else currently (inc snails). Shrimp are being fed NTLabs Shrimp Enhancer with an occasional spirulina wafer and freeze dried mealworm tabs.

Regarding water quality, KH is 2-3, no ammonia or nitrite and maybe 1ppm nitrate. Weekly top-ups are about 5% and I change about another 5%. Using 50:50 RO:tap. I assume that since evaporation just removes water and not the dissolved minerals, I'll need to start adding a little extra RO into the mix going forward.

Ferts are 5ml weekly of FloraGrow - which came with the tank package so am just trying it out. Has no nitrates or phosphates - just potassium and micro nutrients.

Attachments

• Nano 100424.jpg
    Nano 100424.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Back