• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small white worms on aquarium glass, what are they?

CheckeredRust

Hi all, I'm 15 days into cycling/maturing my new low tech planted tank, so far I have been doing 50% water changes, and started dosing fertilizers twice a week about 7 days ago. My lighting hours are average of 6-8 hours daily. Just hours ago, I decided to inspect the tank, and realize there are very tiny and short white worms(?) crawling on the surface of the glasses. Does anyone knows what are they? I'm unable to provide a photo as I do not have the equipment, and it can't be seen on a phone's camera.

Also, I just did a 50% water change yesterday, and probably added extra fertilizer than usual (4ml instead of the usual 2ml). What could the reason of the worms appearing? There isn't any live stocks inside or feeding involve, my tank doesn't have any visible algae at all too.

I found a photo online that looks similar to what I'm seeing, just that the worms in my aquarium is much smaller.

1624174451047.png

Last edited:
They look like detritus worms, which are harmless. They are a result of either over feeding, or beak down of organic matter, plants, they come in on plants, fish or substrate. It may be a sign of low oxygen levels as they live in the substrate, and adding an air stone would help, or increasing your surface agitation. They won’t harm any fish or shrimp and are part of the ecosystem.

They look like detritus worms, which are harmless. They are a result of either over feeding, or beak down of organic matter, plants, they come in on plants, fish or substrate. It may be a sign of low oxygen levels as they live in the substrate, and adding an air stone would help, or increasing your surface agitation. They won’t harm any fish or shrimp and are part of the ecosystem.
Ah that's a relief to hear. I posted a video above of the worms. Could adding extra fertilizers cause this?

Ah, is there any reason why they are appearing during the cycling process? I didn't add any fish food or whatsoever to kickstart the cycling. Will the worms die overtime as there's no food?

I would keep up with your water changes, wipe the glass regularly and vacuum any mulm that builds up. See how that goes, I have had them in the past and they disappeared. As there are no livestock an anti worm treatment could be tried, but I would just keep it simple at the moment and monitor it. If it doesn’t improve or gets worse then treat it.

Hi All!

I've recently set up a low tech nano tank! I've just added 3 pink leopard ramshorn snails and plant fertiliser! However, I've started to see these little worms, I have attached pictures below! Does anyone know what they are? I hope not planaria as I'm hoping to add shrimp soon!

Any help would be Amazing!

Ben

Attachments

• 20230604_230757.jpg
    20230604_230757.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 371
  • 20230604_230800.jpg
    20230604_230800.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 20230604_140040.jpg
    20230604_140040.jpg
    760 KB · Views: 284
  • 20230604_140034.jpg
    20230604_140034.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 650
I have attached pictures below! Does anyone know what they are?
They look like detritus worms to me, a catch-all term for various nematodes and harmless worms that live in the tank.
That big one is definitely not Planaria 🙂👍 The shape is not a match and it has hairs on its body.
For reference in the future there is also a white worm type that looks a little bit like Planaria but has a round head. These are Rhabdocoela and are also harmless 🙂

@Bkirby02 - as @Hufsa has said above, I think it's fine. Aquariums can pick up all sorts of worms/microfauna, but planaria are quite easily identifiable by their 'arrow-like' head. I've attached a picture of a true planarian below that I found on google. Notice two features: the arrow-head, and the two eye-dots. These are quite characteristic of Planaria.

Attachments

• planaria.jpg
    planaria.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 751
Thank you so much for getting back to me guys so quickly!!! Really appreciate that! I will give the tank a good clean!

One last question! Would these appear even though I haven't fed the tank/don't have an abundant bioload yet?

Thanks again for all the help! 😊🙏

One last question! Would these appear even though I haven't fed the tank/don't have an abundant bioload yet?
They are a part of the biological community of the majority of aquariums, so yes I would say.
They can become more numerous if there is a large collection of a food source somewhere, like a filter that needs to be cleaned a bit, or a substrate that is trapping food or dirt.
But in a new tank you may get what seems like "population booms" of various forms of life, that will come and go as the tank matures and stabilizes.
So if you have a few extra visible now, its likely that they will disappear again when everything is more balanced out 😊

That makes so much sense!!! Thank you so much! I will just keep on with the tank cycle and water changes! Thanks again for everyone's help!😊

Hi all,
I've been fish keeping for over 15 yrs and have just noticed tiny white worm creatures whilst cycling a small, back up tank, but also after using liquifry 2 in my main tank for platy fry. ( mature tank water was added to tank 2 to start up the bacteria)
It looks a bit unsightly in tank 2, they appear dead tbh. Liquifry mentions it in their leaflet ... I gotta be honest I'm confused, a tad worried.
No white wigglers in my bigger tank, but many seemingly dead bits in the cycling tank 2. Which is nearly ready , I'm unsure whether to vac it out, or what ? As no fish are gonna be in at least 1 - 2 more weeks.
Should I be worried, what about the debris if its all dead matter?
There's few live plants in both tank, not mature planting thou. I also removed few snails , arrived with plants.
Any thoughts ? Before I get vacuuming!
Thanks Vix
( I'm assuming bkirby02 has got it all in order since last year ?)

Back