• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

55 Litre high energy aquascape

Dan Earl A

So, having done a brief introduction on the site and received some really useful tips and now three weeks in to my first aquascape I thought I'd have a bash at a journal. The purpose of this is, I hope, to learn from the wealth of experience on this site and to share my own experiences as I progress.

As a starting point, my set up is as follows:
  • Dennerle 55L white glass scapers tank
  • BioMaster 350 Thermal
  • Twinstar 450 SM V3
  • Life Aqua CO2 two stage regulator
  • Aquario Premium Neo Flow
All the above purchased from Aquarium Gardens, who were super helpful.

I've used ADA Power sand and Tropica Aquarium soil substrate, and dosing 1.5ml daily of APT3. I've also followed the 'recommended' routine of daily 50% water changes for the first week, every other day for the second week and now every fourth day. I was using API Quick Start initially with every water change. I was also using ADA Aqua Conditioner.

After a predicted ammonia spike, followed by a jump in nitrites I'm down to zero for both plus nitrates. My water from the mains supply is hard, 268mg/l total hardness and at a pH of 7.7. All my plants seems to have done well, with the exception of the Anubias, which mostly melted but what's left seems to now be recovering. Ive just stocked with Amano's and Cherry shrimps, as well as half a dozen zebra nerite snails which are doing a grand job of keeping any algae at bay.

I think that's it for now. I'm looking forward to stocking with fish in maybe another week or so, and intending to go for ember tetras, probably a dozen.

I'm fairly pleased with the hardscape and plants but I'm sure I can improve a lot here with some advise and experience. All comments very welcome!!

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 20230604_221036.jpg
    20230604_221036.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 378
  • 20230604_221055.jpg
    20230604_221055.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 228
  • 20230604_221114.jpg
    20230604_221114.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
Ironically, just after posting this and for the first time, I'm seeing some evidence of algae. I think this is dust algae, and most apparent on the rocks. Any thoughts on probable cause and action to make sure it doesn't take hold?

Attachments

• 20230605_223410.jpg
    20230605_223410.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 184
Any thoughts on probable cause
Yes, it's a very new and still immature tank - building microbial communities, plants settling in, adapting etc. etc.

and action to make sure it doesn't take hold?
Wait for the tank to mature a little bit further. I can't see you're doing anything materially wrong - As @PARAGUAY said above, it's a great start!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Thanks all for the positive feedback, it's much appreciated.

I had tried fitting a reliever to the Aquario Neo Flow, to reduce the flow around the tank a little, in anticipation of introducing the Ember Tetras, but I felt it reduced it too much. Maybe this has contributed to the outbreak of dust algae? I've reverted back to the original set up (in photo) and might try the lilly outlet that's available for the Aquario Neo. Thoughts on this approach?

I'm also wondering if I should soon trim the Eleochaeis Pusila, to promote some additional growth. To date, only the hydrocotyle tripartita has seen any trimming, so maybe I should consider this during the next water change. I'm also thinking of adding some moss to the wood in the tank.

Thanks again al!

Attachments

• 20230606_225638.jpg
    20230606_225638.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
Hopefully the lily pipe head helps aha - otherwise I would move the outlet closer to the surface (you will need to take out or shorten the skimmer), good for some aeration and the fish should be alright for mid/low level of the tank

So, I'm now at 4 weeks in and the plants really do seem to have grown. I'm now thinking I should start trimming a few of them back, in particular the Rotala Rotundifolia and the Hydrocotyle Tripartita. Both seem rather stragley, and having watched a few YouTube videos the recommendation seems to be to cut them hard back. Seems a shame but I want them to bush out to form a much more sense clump. I'm also wondering if now is the time to remove my floating plants also, or maybe that's being a tad hasty!?

Any recommendations from the group?
20230614_224811.jpg

Attachments

• 20230614_224834.jpg
    20230614_224834.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 155
I'm also wondering if now is the time to remove my floating plants also, or maybe that's being a tad hasty!?
Hi,
Your tank is looking quite lush and you appear to be doing everything right, but with it being only 4 weeks old (immature) I personally would therefore not do anything to disturb the balance for a couple more months at least.
Alternatively, if you're looking forward to getting rid of them completely as soon as possible I would at least wait until the stems become more full bodied so they are using up those nutrients and are able to utilise the extra light.
That's my thoughts anyway.
Cheers!

Hi,
Your tank is looking quite lush and you appear to be doing everything right, but with it being only 4 weeks old (immature) I personally would therefore not do anything to disturb the balance for a couple more months at least.
Alternatively, if you're looking forward to getting rid of them completely as soon as possible I would at least wait until the stems become more full bodied so they are using up those nutrients and are able to utilise the extra light.
That's my thoughts anyway.
Cheers!
Hey Baz, thanks for this. I'll exercise patience with my floating plants based on this! :) Would you still recommend cutting back the stem plants to encourage them to fill out?

Would you still recommend cutting back the stem plants to encourage them to fill out?
Best let them grow a bit more first. At least reach the surface. Them cut them back to just below the hardscape and foreground plants, so the cut is hidden and then replant the tops in among the rooted stems. That way the original rooted stems will grow many new shoots which together with the replanted stems will really fill the background out. Let them grow out again, and rinse and repeat.

A quick update on progress. Feeling happier with the scape having trimmed the Rotala and the Hydrocotyle. I've repositioned the Cryptocoryne albida' Brown' as it was getting engulfed by the Blyxia which has gone mad - this has also created a little more contrast, which I like. Also repositioned the Staurogyne repens, which is now over to the right hand side of the tank, and I positioned a few stems close to the front, although I'm not sure how these will work out as a foreground plant......wondering if anyone has any experience of this, or can recommend an alternative that would look good nestled in the Eleocharis?
Next up for a trim is the Eleocharis I think, which again seems to be thickening out and growing almost too quickly.......one of the unintended consequences of CO2 I guess!
I'm wondering what to add now, with a trip planned to Aquarium Gardens in a week or so. At the moment I'm thinking of replacing the Anubias which partly melted due to the initial ammonia levels and adding some moss on the wood, as a salvage for the cherry shrimps should they feel inclined to breed.
As a final note, and having messed around with the lilly pipe for a bit, I think I've settled at positioning it higher (by using a shorter skimmer) which seems to have set the flow in the tank at about the right level.
Criticisms, comments or recommendations always welcome!

Attachments

• 20230629_210401.jpg
    20230629_210401.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 147
  • 20230629_210432.jpg
    20230629_210432.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 149
Quick update. Added a dozen Ember Tetra's today, my first fish to go in since setting up the aquascape 2 months ago, which is quite exciting. The will hopefully colour up over time. Also replaced the Anubias that initially melted and added some Riccardia to the wood. Things are looking pretty good for a first attempt I think, and I even seem to have some flowers developing on the Bucephalandra Biblis which I hope is a good sign? One concern I do have is that the Blyxia Japonica has gone absolutely bonkers and is in danger of taking over so I'm wondering if I should cut this back.......any tips on how best to do that without disturbing the other plants too much? Thanks 👍
20230715_230815.jpg

One concern I do have is that the Blyxia Japonica has gone absolutely bonkers and is in danger of taking over so I'm wondering if I should cut this back.......any tips on how best to do that without disturbing the other plants too much? Thanks 👍
Once established Blyxa can become a rampant weed, the way I've always dealt with it is uprooting, cutting the stems so the tops are at desired length, replanting and discarding the bottoms. You will find that you have a lot more plants (offshoots) than you started with. It's not the most difficult plant to uproot, usually having one or two long roots and a series of shorter ones. At the end of the day it is a stem plant and needs to be treated as such.
Cheers!

Once established Blyxa can become a rampant weed, the way I've always dealt with it is uprooting, cutting the stems so the tops are at desired length, replanting and discarding the bottoms.
Indeed, those are the two stages of Blyxa. "Looking a bit iffy" or "Oh lord its taking over" :lol:
Its a really beautiful plant though, @Dan Earl A 's plant looks very happy :thumbup:

For some reason that im not quite sure of yet, almost everyone seems to uproot Blyxa and trim it that way from the bottom.
The insinuation floating in the air is that it doesnt like / doesnt tolerate having the growth points cut off?
Ive always wanted to try though, just to see what would happen :twisted: I should do that soon :geek:

Back