• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

12gal soft water

Plantnoobdude - you can also branch out into the mini variants of Java Ferns because they may be more suited to smaller tanks, like Taiwan narrow leaf, Philippine narrow leaf etc! :p
No... Please.... NO MORE PLANTSSSSD

Bucephalandra seems to gro much better when attached to a porous rock like lava rock. The roots seems to grow much better and the plant stays very healthy, additionally if you secure the stem side ways, you get lots of sideshoot growth which eventually gets you a nice clump
Anyone else experience this?
IMG_20230326_020158.jpg

Bucephalandra seems to gro much better when attached to a porous rock like lava rock. The roots seems to grow much better and the plant stays very healthy, additionally if you secure the stem side ways, you get lots of sideshoot growth which eventually gets you a nice clump
Anyone else experience this?
View attachment 203162
IME they grow just a fine on any rock. Doesn't need to be lava rock specifically. Lava rock just look nice but makes it that much harder to remove the plant later 😅
If the plant roots then reach an active substrate that's when it is given a boost.

The big clump is on dragon stone. The smaller ones at the bottom are on lava rocks. I do not see any difference between the two in terms of health or growth speed.
IMG_9943.jpg

Their growth speed will depend on the size of the rhizome and amount of leaves on the plant. The bigger the rhizome gets the faster they grow and produce leave, to a certain extent of course. This surely has to do with their ability to photosynthesise more with a higher plant mass. Very small rhizomes can take ages to grow. There is also some variability with different sp. Some will grow just painfully slow while others at a faster rate.

The patina on that piece of wood(?) is beautiful! 😍
Whatever you do, you must not scrub that off 😍

I once had something similar in a wood scape many years ago. Made the mistake of putting just a single ancistrus in the tank..
Decimated over night :inpain::facepalm:
I love it, it looks so natural. I have otos but they seem to just leave it alone

This is now a simple fern and buce tank with a lotus and some stems for the mean time. I expect the buce to carpet in the next six months or so.
The tank has been moved to hard tap.
IMG_20230524_200420.jpg

Few days in I see some new growth.
IMG_20230524_200458.jpg

I want some platies for this tank, I quite like them but never kept em. Maybe some shrimp too?

Buce crypts and my ferns looking nice. I think I'm gonna need to get rid of my ferns to make space for the crypts and buce.
IMG_20230709_215101.jpg

I really don't do much with this tank . It gets a fat dose of fertiliser every couple weeks when I remember and the plants grow well. Planning a Scape with seiryu stone soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20230812_144931.jpg
    IMG_20230812_144931.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 57
Back