• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Little Bit Mossy

REDSTEVEO

Evening All,

It's been a while since I've posted anything here in UKAPS. This tank used to be the home of 'The Full Monty' many moons ago and has gone through many transitions since.

Having long since stopped keeping and breeding Wild Discus, I've sort of kept it simple and around 6 months ago added a nice shoal of Manacapura Red Back Angel Fish.
Believe it or not I ripped out two thirds of the plants in this tank to make room for the Angel Fish.

It almost never recovered to its former planted richness and glory. The Mosses and Trident Java Ferns were washed out and not thriving at all, as was the tall Cryptocoryne Ballansai. That is until I started upping the Iron Supplements, adding more each time and more frequently. Completely ignoring the dosage instructions on the bottle.

I'm rather pleased, not to mention surprised with the results.
20230516_180045.jpg
20230516_180054.jpg
20230516_180057.jpg
20230516_180102.jpg
20230516_195818.jpg
20230516_195827.jpg
20230516_195830.jpg
20230516_195833.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments. Now it has practically reached the saturation point again, where the Mosses have expanded to the point where it is getting out of balance. As is the Cryptocoryne Ballansai to the right.

The question is how to remove a lot of the Moss without wrecking it again. Also I don't enjoy uprooting the Ballansai because the root mass is so thick and usually entangled, so it makes a right mess when you uproot them...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Awesome looking tank, I'm thinking of adding some moss to my tank at some point t as it's something I've never had before.
Any recommendations for easy to keep moss's for a low tech tank??

Many thanks
Matt

Evening All,

It's been a while since I've posted anything here in UKAPS. This tank used to be the home of 'The Full Monty' many moons ago and has gone through many transitions since.

Having long since stopped keeping and breeding Wild Discus, I've sort of kept it simple and around 6 months ago added a nice shoal of Manacapura Red Back Angel Fish.
Believe it or not I ripped out two thirds of the plants in this tank to make room for the Angel Fish.

It almost never recovered to its former planted richness and glory. The Mosses and Trident Java Ferns were washed out and not thriving at all, as was the tall Cryptocoryne Ballansai. That is until I started upping the Iron Supplements, adding more each time and more frequently. Completely ignoring the dosage instructions on the bottle.

I'm rather pleased, not to mention surprised with the results.View attachment 205351View attachment 205352View attachment 205353View attachment 205354View attachment 205355View attachment 205356View attachment 205357View attachment 205358

Looking good :cool:

Back