• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Photogrammetry and 3D Printing for Special Habitat Features

hydrophyte

Photogrammetry and 3D Printing for Special Habitat Features

This project is for a terrarium setup, but I have a couple ideas in mind involving features for aquariums. Here I have used photogrammetry to build a 3D model of a tree branch that I then printed as a planting surface for mini epiphytic ferns, mosses and other plants. It took several steps, but I finally got it all assembled and planted last night in this 6-gallon bookshelf aquarium.

1-v-23-epiphyte-viii-jpg.jpg

A few years ago, photogrammetry may have seemed to be rather technical and not so accessible, but now there are numerous software options including several available as free downloads. Some are more demanding of PC graphics capability (usually requiring a NVIDIA CUDA GPU) but I found one (the free version of 3DF Zephyr) that runs OK with smaller models on my machine. Some tutorials on the Internet explain photogrammetry with elaborate studio photography setups, but with a few tricks a regular phone camera can work just fine. Models of medium resolution are more than adequate for the natural features I have in mind for this one and related projects.

To build this model I collected a 30" branch of Musclewood (Carpinus caroliniana), a small tree/large bush with fascinating ropy stem contours, then took a few dozen photographs in a simple studio setup as inputs for the photogrammetry mesh and 3D model generation.

1-V-23-epiphyte-XI.jpg

1-v-23-epiphyte-iii-jpg.jpg

1-v-23-epiphyte-iv-jpg.jpg

With a 3D modelling/CAD software (also free and very easy to use Tinkercad) I modified the model for printing. Three longer sections are joined with fiberglass rod alignment pins and epoxy adhesive, while a shorter end cap is attached to a short piece of natural wood.

1-v-23-epiphyte-vii-jpg.jpg

It has a contrived effect in combination with the live, natural plants, but that's part of the concept I have in mind for it. I bonded Hygrolon wicking terrarium fabric to the replica branch top surface, then secured sphagnum moss and plant cuttings with polyester thread.

1-v-23-epiphyte-x-jpg.jpg

1-v-23-epiphyte-ix-jpg.jpg

1-v-23-epiphyte-i-jpg.jpg

1-v-23-epiphyte-ii-jpg.jpg

An ultrasonic fogger passes through the enclosure top with a bulkhead fitting and generates a fine water mist to maintain humidity and keep the branch moist.

1-v-23-epiphyte-vi-jpg.jpg

Thanks for reading! I intend to do a couple more projects like this. I'll also post an update at some point to show progress with this mini live plant display.

1-V-23-epiphyte-V.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting, could be a good answer to having all the problems of finding and curing suitable real branches etc for displays.

Wondered what type of filament you used PLA , ABS etc ?

Also would it have been possible to create and print a type of black mesh directly onto the branch shape to act as grip for the planting ?

Apologies I haven't been back here in a while. Thanks for having a look at this.

Way out of my league on the technical side but love the end result!

Thank you so much! Really this is pretty simple and the only special item required is the 3D printer. The free photogrammetry is easy and just a matter of watching some videos for the basics. I used a CNC router to make the bracket parts, but the same thing could be achieved with 3D prints or plastic sheet cut on a band saw and/or table saw.

Does it spin like rotisserie? :D Just kidding, very cool project!

Hey that's a great idea! 😂😂😂

Very interesting, could be a good answer to having all the problems of finding and curing suitable real branches etc for displays.

Wondered what type of filament you used PLA , ABS etc ?

Also would it have been possible to create and print a type of black mesh directly onto the branch shape to act as grip for the planting ?

This one is PLA. PETG would be a better choice due to its superior water resistance, but this printed with thick walls and plenty of infill, so I think it will be OK. It should last for at least several years. PLA prints a lot easier and there are also more color options. I wanted a dark matte gray for this project, but could not find that in PETG.

Yeah there are lots of options for adding additional features in 3D modeling and CAD software. For a version 2.0 of this I'm thinking about additional ideas and a branch feature for a 36" tank.

Last edited:
Very nice! A question comes to mind. Isn't it possible to print with a porous structure material?

This is really great. Being able to create a 3D model from an object such as a root or rock feature, having it scaled etc. to exactly match your tank and vision and then having it 3D printed sounds like something aqua scapers would be all over... There are certainly shops out there that can do the 3D printing if you provide the 3D model. The construction of the 3D model from a bunch of regular phone camera photos is probably good enough for the intended purpose. Would be interesting to hear what others among our prolific scapers have to say about this.

Cheers,
Michael

My first thesis was on Ai generated plants (3d models) - where the program would build scenes for video games.

I could see an application of this where you get AI to design a layout, and then you pay a service to print and assemble. Certainly doable now, but this 8billion dollar industry isn’t going to get me building this 😅

Great project as always. Could be the future.

Thanks very much!

Very nice! A question comes to mind. Isn't it possible to print with a porous structure material?

Yes there are possibilities like this. The 3D print industry is constantly coming up with new filament compositions including flexible materials and more. You could also print something with an internal mesh structure like various Copepod hides available for reef aquariums. To make a much more bioreceptive substrate you can alternatively design and 3D print a negative mold with a flexible filament, then cast with porous concrete.

This is really great. Being able to create a 3D model from an object such as a root or rock feature, having it scaled etc. to exactly match your tank and vision and then having it 3D printed sounds like something aqua scapers would be all over... There are certainly shops out there that can do the 3D printing if you provide the 3D model. The construction of the 3D model from a bunch of regular phone camera photos is probably good enough for the intended purpose. Would be interesting to hear what others among our prolific scapers have to say about this.

Cheers,
Michael

Yes there certainly are many possibilities.

My first thesis was on Ai generated plants (3d models) - where the program would build scenes for video games.

I could see an application of this where you get AI to design a layout, and then you pay a service to print and assemble. Certainly doable now, but this 8billion dollar industry isn’t going to get me building this 😅

There ain't no yoke on me.

It seems to be inevitable, but generative AI will be the complete death and annihilation of aquascaping and every other kind of human creative pursuit. People who value art, nature, personal expression and their hobbies will reject generative AI every time they see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There ain't no yoke on me.

It seems to be inevitable, but generative AI will be the complete death and annihilation of aquascaping and every other kind of human creative pursuit. People who value art, nature, personal expression and their hobbies will reject generative AI every time they see it.

I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference between AI and human soon, even now it's very, very good. All of these individual streams of AI are coming together, voice, chat, video, image - soon, together you really won't be able to believe what you see.

Nice project, I used an internal structure on my Terrarium and after 2 years it's still going strong also, I find that stuff that goes underwater (I have been using PLA and PETG filaments) tends to break up after around 12 months. So not that long term, I have not tried with other materials, but there are filaments that mimic rock/wood materials that could work, printing round structures, unless done in sections like @hypnogogia did and print them vertically can be tricky also, otherwise they need a lot of support material and can be a pain to clean up afterwards. I did try a wood filament for my Terarrium and that was just so fragile that in the end I didn't even bother using it as it crumbled very quickly.

Have not seen much done in terms of things to go inside the tank! but like the idea of this project.

This one is PLA. PETG would be a better choice due to its superior water resistance, but this printed with thick walls and plenty of infill, so I think it will be OK. It should last for at least several years. PLA prints a lot easier and there are also more color options. I wanted a dark matte gray for this project, but could not find that in PETG.

For future reference you'll struggle to ever find a matte PETG as the nature of the material is that it's shiny! With that said, unlike PLA, PETG is very easy to sand so you can take the shine of anything you want, though admittedly that would be hard on this project.

Nice print though, looks like it came out really well!

I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference between AI and human soon, even now it's very, very good. All of these individual streams of AI are coming together, voice, chat, video, image - soon, together you really won't be able to believe what you see.

Unless somebody puts the brakes on generative AI, it will be the complete destruction and erasure of human creativity, forever. The EU at least is taking some first steps toward copyright protection and outlaw of harmful AI applications, although I seriously doubt rules like those will keep pace with development of the technologies or their scale and prevalence. Over here (United States) greed of course trumps every other concern, so Big Tech is just given a free reign. Our lawmakers are either septuagenarians who just don't understand new technology, craven opportunists or homicidal hillbillies , so they really can't be expected to ever respond.

Maybe there will be an AI disaster sometime soon big enough to existentially frighten the World, but not so severe that it breaks all of our systems. This is probably the only hope for some real laws with teeth.

Nice project, I used an internal structure on my Terrarium and after 2 years it's still going strong also, I find that stuff that goes underwater (I have been using PLA and PETG filaments) tends to break up after around 12 months. So not that long term, I have not tried with other materials, but there are filaments that mimic rock/wood materials that could work, printing round structures, unless done in sections like @hypnogogia did and print them vertically can be tricky also, otherwise they need a lot of support material and can be a pain to clean up afterwards. I did try a wood filament for my Terarrium and that was just so fragile that in the end I didn't even bother using it as it crumbled very quickly.

Have not seen much done in terms of things to go inside the tank! but like the idea of this project.

I saw your project some time ago. Very nice! Did you see both PLA and PETG prints breaking down in that kind of environment? PETG is pretty much the standard for reef aquarium items.

A variation I have in mind for the photogrammetry + 3D printing is a model built from a Strangler Fig skeleton to go into a vertical enclosure and with lots of structure for climbing plants.

Ficus_watkinsiana_on_Syzygium_hemilampra-Iluka.jpg

(Public Domain image: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangler_fig#/media/File:Ficus_watkinsiana_on_Syzygium_hemilampra-Iluka.jpg)

For future reference you'll struggle to ever find a matte PETG as the nature of the material is that it's shiny! With that said, unlike PLA, PETG is very easy to sand so you can take the shine of anything you want, though admittedly that would be hard on this project.

Nice print though, looks like it came out really well!

Yes, this print is thick and heavy, so it should be OK. I do intend to experiment some more and try to get better results with PETG prints. I've gotten unacceptable warpage with most of the models I've tried in PETG.

Last edited:
Did you see both PLA and PETG prints breaking down in that kind of environment? PETG is pretty much the standard for reef aquarium items.
I used Tough PLA which did break, I only recently started using PETG so have not had enough time yet to see if things break in the same manner. But like @Epiphyte said I don't like that shiny surface as much ;) also less choice when it comes to filaments, the printer I have access to at the moment also only takes 2.85mm filament, reducing the choice even further :(

Yes, this print is thick and heavy, so it should be OK. I do intend to experiment some more and try to get better results with PETG prints. I've gotten unacceptable warpage with most of the models I've tried in PETG.

I used to have all sorts of issues printing PETG when I started out 3D printing on an Ender 3, I ended up only being able to print at about 30mm/s to get reliable results and bed warping was always an issue.

For some reason my new printer I struggle with PLA! Although PETG prints beautifully and it's the only filament I now use. I think a stable 70°C bed temp really helps, only on very large and thin parts do I get warping, but then I just throw a brim on and it's fine. It's certainly nice to print at 130mm/s rather than 30 too!

I think PETG would benefit from an enclosure to really negate warping, but a hot bed with good levelling is the main thing I found that makes a difference

We had a tree-damaging storm here a few nights ago and I found these really nice American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) fallen branches. I'll have to look these over to find sections straight enough to fit in a bookshelf tank, but I should be able to get a couple good models out of these. They have some nice contours...

3-VIII-23-Platanus-I.jpg

I wondered if there was a botanical term for the round cankers or burls on Sycamore branches and indeed they are a symptom of Sycamore Anthracnose (Apiognomonia veneta) infection....

Sycamore Anthracnose

Damaged branches resprout at characteristic right angles and in wet years trees often fails to leaf out in the spring until new, undamaged foliage grows. I have seen this particular tree leafless into early summer and I never knew about this explanation before. But it seems to recover OK despite its chronic infection. It's probably the tallest tree in the neighborhood.

I plan to make the next print to match a 11-gallon bookshelf tank, so it will be a bit longer than the first project....

3-VII-23-Bookshelf-I.jpg

Perhaps you could have the branch with a hollow core, and vent slots in the top so you can pump the fogger mist through it and out amongst the plants?

Just thinking out loud, no idea if it would work, just that is could mean no visible kit in the display at all.

Back