• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

co2 external reactor info please?

bazz

hi,
i'm now in the market to buy an external reactor, and looking for recommendations to fuel a 300 liter tank through 1 of 2 t/tec ex1200's. the aquamedic 1000 was looking favourable, but i'm thinking the 12/16mm hosetails are a step backwards for filter flow from the standard 16/22mm of the t/tec?
cheers and thanx in advance,
bazz!

bazz said:
hi,
i'm now in the market to buy an external reactor, and looking for recommendations to fuel a 300 liter tank through 1 of 2 t/tec ex1200's. the aquamedic 1000 was looking favourable, but i'm thinking the 12/16mm hosetails are a step backwards for filter flow from the standard 16/22mm of the t/tec?
cheers and thanx in advance,
bazz!

Bazz

the hose tails are approx 15mm in their external diameter and the 16 mm internal bore diameter of the pipe pushes on quite nice, I would advise you to add some clips to make it more secure.

see attached picy.

EheimFilterlayout003.jpg

I used eheim clips and bought them of ebay.
http://rover.ebay.co.uk/rover/1/710-673 ... dZViewItem

Paul.

i thought i read somewhere recently that these reactors were hermetically sealed, but apparently not as you appear to have changed the media, why?
its looking quite likely though that these are probably the best option!
cheers and thanx,
bazz!

bazz said:
i thought i read somewhere recently that these reactors were hermetically sealed, but apparently not as you appear to have changed the media, why?
its looking quite likely though that these are probably the best option!
cheers and thanx,
bazz!

Bazz

They are not sealed for life, the tops do screw off, I bought mine from the TGM with no media - siporax was added, i have removed the siporax now and using bio balls now.

Paul.

Paul,

I'm also looking into getting an AM1000 and replacing my glass diffusor, have you found it generates better c02 distribution in the tank and thus allowed you to save on c02, as the whole co2 setup is more efficient?

One of my questions was on the hose tails as they seems to state different sizes, but to me it looks like your ehiem hoses fit well (with clamps) and might I say what a very neat setup you have.

Steve

swackett said:
Paul,

I'm also looking into getting an AM1000 and replacing my glass diffusor, have you found it generates better c02 distribution in the tank and thus allowed you to save on c02, as the hole co2 setup is more efficient?

One of my questions was on the hose tails as they seems to state different sizes, but to me it looks like your ehiem hoses fit well (with clamps) and might I say what a very neat setup you have.

Steve

Steve

I would not like to commit myself reagrding your question in the first paragraph in-relation to which is more efficient. Original i was using a dennele ladder system and it would not cope with the amount of co2 I wanted to input into the water column.I had two options - 1000 aquamedic reactor or CO2- Glass Jap Style Diffuser 5000 (two required) one in the tank and a spare. So i decided to go with the cheaper option AM 1000.

As for the second paragraph,
Hose tails on the AM 1000 are approx. 15.5mm in o.d
Ehiem pipe internal diameter is appox. 16mm - giving a difference of 0.5mm.

The ehiem pipe slipped on quite nice, but know my luck the force of the water comimg out / going into the reactor would have probably pushed the pipes of the tails so two clips were added as a safety measure.

Thx for the comment: very neat setup you have.

hope this helps

Paul.

Paul,

Great thanks for the information, I think I'd put two clips on as well as I would not like to wake up in the morning and find the tank has emptied onto the floor overnight because of the pipe slipping off.

Cheers

Back