• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any suggestions?

Tops of some of my wood pieces stick out the water. Can anyone suggest any plants which might be able to attach themselves to wood and dangle their roots into the water?

Anubias spring to mind but I think the light would be too intense and there might not be enough moisture in the air

Attachments

• 20230303_173606.jpg
    20230303_173606.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Monstera, Epipremnum, Philodendron

Agree some moss and wicking pads will give a nice environment for many plants . If you want to start easy that ’water bamboo’ that is a Dracena species, pothos (Epipremnum) or spider plants ( Chlorophytum comosum) are common choices. What about just letting some Hygrophila pinnatifda creep along the wood out of the water.

able to attach themselves to wood and dangle their roots into the water?
Ficus pumila is probably your best bet, it attaches itself with tiny roots (like ivy), stays relatively small (definitely compared to pothos), and is easy to prune if it does get too large. Other Ficus species might work too, depending on which look you're after, I have benjamina figs in my plaudarium as mangrove stand-ins, keeping their shape will be more challenging than with the pumila though. There are also some tiny orchids, and if you get some moss growing there, ferns, that would do well, but my advice would be to stay away from overly large plants, they're hard to keep in shape and could easily topple from the weight.

Are you looking for little plants (couple of inches max) that leave the wood visable but add a hint of greenary or do you want big plants (6-12") that will hide the wood but give you alot of foliage above the water?

Are you looking for little plants (couple of inches max) that leave the wood visable but add a hint of greenary or do you want big plants (6-12") that will hide the wood but give you alot of foliage above the water?

There's only about 15cm of space above the water's surface, so the plants would need to remain fairly small. Also they need to not be so heavy as to unbalance the wood.

Ficus pumila is probably your best bet, it attaches itself with tiny roots (like ivy), stays relatively small (definitely compared to pothos), and is easy to prune if it does get too large. Other Ficus species might work too, depending on which look you're after, I have benjamina figs in my plaudarium as mangrove stand-ins, keeping their shape will be more challenging than with the pumila though. There are also some tiny orchids, and if you get some moss growing there, ferns, that would do well, but my advice would be to stay away from overly large plants, they're hard to keep in shape and could easily topple from the weight.
Yes, Ficus pumila looks a good option. Attach it at the water line and let it grow up the wood.

You could put a load of suitable stem cuttings like Hygro Polysmerma ,Monte Carlo in say a washing up bowl in say a couple of inches of water with ambient light, (works well outside in summer btw) on a windowcill or ideally greenhouse they should take to emmerse and form a matted root system ,just cut the section you need and transfer top of your wood.

Back