• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Solenoid with Tropica CO2 system nano

td731

Hi! I’ve recently decided to give CO2 a go for the first time.

I’ve bought the tropics co2 system nano for my 30 litre tank but it doesn’t come with a solenoid. I know there are already threads on this but none really give a definitive answer on what to use.

This one from CO2 supermarket says you can’t connect it with tubing as it will pop off so you need to use a metal adaptor to attach to the regulator.

This Colombo one (which looks exactly the same) recommends connecting with tubing though

I’m a bit confused about which method of connection to use safely and therefore which solenoid to get for this system.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Thanks!
the ada solenoid is pretty expensive so was hoping on some advice on the two above (or another budget option)

Either will work (as you say pretty much the same valves)

What you want is this piece here 24mm Extension, you attach this to the reg and the attached the solenoid to it, this removes the tube and any risk of it popping, etc

tropica-co2-system-nano.jpg

Generally with nano CO2 systems you can't use a solenoid, as they are not really regulators, technically they are flow valves. The "regulator" isn't a regulator but either a hole in a metal plate or a metal sponge that restricts the flow of gas, and in fact doesn't do any pressure regulation at all. It just restricts the flow of gas from the high pressure cylinder (maybe 14bar small disposable cans or 55bar proper big boy cylinders) to the atmosphere ie CO2 injector.

Thus if you attach any valve/solenoid after the flow valve, when closed, the pressure in the connecting pipe/tube rises to the tank pressure and pipe either bursts off or just pushes open the solenoid (solenoids are designed to work at say 6 bar max).

Nano systems are designed to run 24/7, just restricting the flow of gas into the tank. If you require CO2 turned off you must do it with the tank valve, a solenoid won't work.

If you want to use a solenoid, you will need to proper CO2 regulator and suitable proper CO2 cylinder. I have a CO2 Supermarket single stage regulator bought in 2012 and it works fine on a fire extinguisher.

Back