• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Clean up crew

nigel bentley

I was wondering if there is any rule of thumb on adequate number of " clean up crew" livestock per litre.
I can't say I've have come across one.
I currently have 8 ottos and 8 nerite snails in a 400 litre tank
The ottos have certainly got bigger and the snails have been in my tank for a couples of years.

Hi @nigel bentley, Eventhough your tank is big (400L) there are a couple of things to consider (regardless of any specimen per liter rules of thumb). How is your tank setup? is it mature? is it planted ? what is your current stocking level in general... Otocinclus (and the Nerites snails) need access to plenty of algae and biofilm, so if this is a mature planted tank with plenty of access to food, hiding places etc. you can easily double, and quite possibly triple, the amount of Oto's. Oto's are very social fish that prefer to be in shoals.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

My tank is fully matured with plenty of plants.Im always buying extra from Aquarium Gardens.Its a bit of an addiction 😉 Thanks for your thoughts, I may get some more ottos,they are lovely little fish.
Cheers mate

Yeah, I'd probably say their 'soilent green' is more appropriate for ottos though
Admittedly I am having a childish and immature mind, but reading the preamble to the product description made me laugh... Don't tell me that this company didn't know exactly what they were doing....
I would think it highly unlikely that it's a coincidence :lol:

Like this ?

Admittedly I am having a childish and immature mind, but reading the preamble to the product description made me laugh... Don't tell me that this company didn't know exactly what they were doing....

Cheers,
Michael
I'm getting this:

Bottom Scratcher.jpg

I bought some repashy super green for my otos and they are addicted to it. I try putting in cucumber, zucchini, spinach or carrots with little to no reaction. I put in some super green and they are on it almost immediately.

I was a little hesitant since it’s kind of pricey but I am completely sold on it now.

Back