• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need some tips for moving plant

DuyHung

1 (2).jpg
Hi!
I need some tips for moving plant. Actually, it will be one of scenes:
1. The new emersed plant. In my experiences, the new subemersed leaf will grow whereas the old emersed leaf will melt or sometime get algae. The question here is:
+ Which ways should we handle the new emersed plant before grow in tank ? ( for ex: the stem plant should be grow from the root or for the top of the tree ?)
+How do we prevent the melt of old leaf or we just need to remove all the old leaf when see some new leaf establish ? Because I think melting is one of reason for NH4 which can cause algae in initial time.
2. The new subemersed plant: Some of my local supply have subemersed plant or just some plants my friends give me. When i grow it in my own tank, it starts melting for example: Pogostemon helferi, Dwarf Sagittaria):
+ What process should i follow before grow it in my own tank ? What should we do to the melt leaf?
3. Relocation plant in tank: I have AR mini and AR Rosaefolia. After i relocated plants in my tank, it start melting and seem like cant recover to the old subemersed leaf with some algae on its, seem like stun grow:
+What can i do to make it recover ?
+Which ways should i do to move, relocate the already in tank plants ?

Thank you guys very much. Luckily, I found this forum where I can take lots knowledge for this hobby. After read, I reduced light, change to spraybar to increase co2 effective, follow EI to supply nutrients.
Sorry if my language not so good and bother u :p:p

View attachment 197029Hi!
I need some tips for moving plant. Actually, it will be one of scenes:
1. The new emersed plant. In my experiences, the new subemersed leaf will grow whereas the old emersed leaf will melt or sometime get algae. The question here is:
+ Which ways should we handle the new emersed plant before grow in tank ? ( for ex: the stem plant should be grow from the root or for the top of the tree ?)
+How do we prevent the melt of old leaf or we just need to remove all the old leaf when see some new leaf establish ? Because I think melting is one of reason for NH4 which can cause algae in initial time.
2. The new subemersed plant: Some of my local supply have subemersed plant or just some plants my friends give me. When i grow it in my own tank, it starts melting for example: Pogostemon helferi, Dwarf Sagittaria):
+ What process should i follow before grow it in my own tank ? What should we do to the melt leaf?
3. Relocation plant in tank: I have AR mini and AR Rosaefolia. After i relocated plants in my tank, it start melting and seem like cant recover to the old subemersed leaf with some algae on its, seem like stun grow:
+What can i do to make it recover ?
+Which ways should i do to move, relocate the already in tank plants ?

Thank you guys very much. Luckily, I found this forum where I can take lots knowledge for this hobby. After read, I reduced light, change to spraybar to increase co2 effective, follow EI to supply nutrients.
Sorry if my language not so good and bother u :p:p
Hello DuyHung,
If your older emersed leaves are failing then it means you have some combination of too much light, poor flow, and poor CO2. It's the same story if someone gives you a plant from their tank and you get problems when they are placed in your tank.
Moving the plant isn't the problem. It's the conditions that are in your tank that the plants don't like.
We talk about these problems all the time where hobbyists do not pay enough attention to the fact that plants need to breathe much more than they need strong light. Plants grow because they use CO2 to build the fabric of their bodies.
A good idea when you get new plants (submersed or emersed - it doesn't matter) is to just let them float at the top of the tank for a week or more. Even though they will be closer to the light they will also be closer to the air which they breathe. As the plants bob and weave at the top of the tank they will have access to CO2 and the fact that they are in water will trigger the emersed plants to start building submersed leaves, so this is the best of all worlds. Yes this looks very disorganized and messy, but so what? this will look better than melted plants.
We also need to make sure that the CO2 we are adding is enough and we absolutely need to stop blasting plants with gigawatts of light. Keeping the light low allows the plants to perform the most important job of learning how to breathe underwater without the pressure of fast growth.
Any structural failure of aquatic plants such as melting, browning, black spots, translucency, curling and other types of deformation automatically means they are not receiving enough CO2.
Take a pH reading just before the gas is turned on. Whatever that pH reading is, within 1 or 2 hours the pH should drop at least 1 unit. that's when the light should go on. Many beginners turn their lights on at the same time as the gas and this leads to problems. We must saturate the water with CO2 first - then the lights can go on, so make sure if you have timers, to stagger these. Gas goes on and later, the lights can go on.
Next is flow/distribution. There is no point having lots of gas if the water is not taking it to the plants properly. Test your distribution by placing a tiny piece of paper (or several pieces) at the surface of the water and watch the movement of the paper. Does the paper travel to the front, then down, then towards the back? if so then that is a good indication.
But does the water move with enough force? Our rule of thumb is the 10X rule. Multiply the volume of the tank by 10. your filter(s) should have a rating by the manufacturer of that amount per hour. So a 40 liter tank should ideally have a filter with a pump rated at 400 liters per hour. Is this an absolute rule? No, it just helps you to overcome other deficiencies.
So pay attention to these details and for goodness sake, please reduce your lighting for now. When the plants have settled in and become stronger then they cand resist stronger lighting, but not now.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Hi Ceg
Thanks so much.
I changed to spraybar
Filter x10. Actually, I have a 800L/h filter for my 60l tank
Co2 PH drop 1
Light reduce 50%
Hope it would be better.
Thank for ur reply 😁

Back