• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Going for a new light

2nd one looks interesting - though I can't read Chinese, it looks like they use two different types of RGB chip which may give a little wider colour coverage, as the two chips appear to have slightly differing spectral peaks.

Never heard of them as a brand, so you may be at the mercy of yet another unfinished app. So the question "better the devil you know" might influence your decision?

2nd one looks interesting - though I can't read Chinese, it looks like they use two different types of RGB chip which may give a little wider colour coverage, as the two chips appear to have slightly differing spectral peaks.

Never heard of them as a brand, so you may be at the mercy of yet another unfinished app. So the question "better the devil you know" might influence your decision?
One brand as you know I have, the other I've never owned but I know a few people who have used it and swear by it in terms of color rendition. They also say the app is better, more stable.
Netlea is mostly famous in China but they are starting to target other countries. They make their own custom chips (4in1) and they are also launching a new AT5S model which competes directly with Chihiros WRGB II slim. They are finishing all the specification in English and they will send them to me soon. This said I think it will be less powerful than the AT5 which is the higher end model in which I am interested.

Last edited:
I checked my local prices, Netlea AT5D is about 15% less than the WRGB2 Pro. Taking the 60cm version, Netlea is rated 75w while WRGB2 Pro is rated 74w. Netlea has fans but WRGB2 Pro doesn't (and runs fine without fans even in a hot country).

Is 15% enough to make me switch from 'tried and tested' Chihiros to another brand - not really. But if there was a lamp with Near Infrared bulbs... maybe :) (Bruce Bugbee says NIR has more influence on plant growth than UV...)

I checked my local prices, Netlea AT5D is about 15% less than the WRGB2 Pro. Taking the 60cm version, Netlea is rated 75w while WRGB2 Pro is rated 74w. Netlea has fans but WRGB2 Pro doesn't (and runs fine without fans even in a hot country).

Is 15% enough to make me switch from 'tried and tested' Chihiros to another brand - not really. But if there was a lamp with Near Infrared bulbs... maybe :) (Bruce Bugbee says NIR has more influence on plant growth than UV...)
I can get the Netlea 32% cheaper, so yeah very much worth it ;)
As for the Week Aqua I could get it even cheaper than the Netlea but pondering if I should be testing a new light.

Last edited:
Will make this quick and sweet.

Week Aqua P900 Pro
or
Netlea AT5

Chihiros is too expensive for my pocket.

@oreo57 Since you're the lightman. What would you recommend?
Others are welcome to chime in of course.
Hmmm.. both are interesting.
Looks like the week aqua is stronger in the same size category
Both are "RGB" w/ no white.
Only obvious separation (besides a bit of power) is the uv vs multi nm rgb diodes of the Netlea.
As much as UV "may" be a "thing" the fact is most if not all have very short lifespans compared to other diode colors.

Instinctively I'd favor the Netlea thinking that if a "need" uv I could build or find a "UV ONLY" bar to use.
In other words I don't really trust them currently. Improving the uv chips IS an active area currently.

BUT Netlea hides some details since google translate doesn't translate the graphics text.
What are the channels ect?

Hi @Hanuman & Everyone

I'd be a tad cautious with the above two websites. Neither of them support https URLs (internet addresses). I received security warnings when trying to connect to each of these sites. I use the Brave browser. Just thought I should let you know.

JPC
No need for concerns. These manufacturers are legit. In Asia we are not overly-concerned by these types of western implemented security features ;). It's actually quite common to have websites without https. Also these are just informational websites. You don't buy through them.

Here is a couple of English speaking links to the Netlea AT5:

...and the Week Aqua P900:

Cheers,
Michael

180 degree flat lighting source
Yea probably not..

Tried to find the chip to sort of match the marketing.
Closest match:
Bit different but 1.5W total each

I suppose with enough of a volume purchase they can easily customize the diodes.

Legs don't seem to be adjustable on either light so most would probably need to hang the light.

both have the "big gap" between like 470-500nm..
Week Aqua has 560-600 gap

I'm going to assume each color on each has their own channel.

Technically both are more similar than different really.
Week Aqua will have a different "tone" and one that for me isn't ideal. For those that liked old style t5 "growlights" over their tank will appreciate the week aqua.

Sister product to the Netlea and just as confusing.. :)

Oh and I suppose the Netlea products app isn't in English? Well worth verifying at the least.

Last edited:
both have the "big gap" between like 470-500nm..
Week Aqua has 560-600 gap
Which I assume is a bad thing?
Oh and I suppose the Netlea products app isn't in English? Well worth verifying at the least.
It is in English and according to people who use it is more stable and less prone to bugs than WeekAqua's app. Since I don't have a Netlea light, I can't go past the "adding a device" stage in the app so it's hard for me to assess.

I also bluntly asked Netlea how they positionned themselves in relation to WeekAqua. Answer was blunt. "WeekAqua used to be their Aluminum supplier". I won't mention the rest not to vex any brand, but it wasn't pretty. 😂

Netlea confirmed to me that each color has its own channel and therefore power can be customized for each color.

The gap isn't a bad thing, just not for me personally, a desired thing.
It is what drove me to make my own lights.

So Netlea has 7 channels?
2 "red" ect.. and a white?
Hmm..
Optimized and upgraded on the basis of the original AT series, the AT5 spectrum contains blue light 437m, 450nm, green light 520nm
540nm, red and orange light 615m, 635m, 655m and other wavelengths, and can independently control four colors.
Did they mention " which white"?

There spectral plots are a mess.
I can't tell if they have one composite curve with the whites and colored diodes.

Last edited:
Ok, think I may understand this chip.
Each led has 2 reds, 2 greens,1 blue, and one white.
See the white is really a blue plus phosphors. The cooler the white the more blue is plotted.
This fits as to why the dies have 2 sets of wires on the green and red but only one on the blue.
Red is even more complicated as they list 3 "reds".
Some chips may have a different pair of reds(???)
And the white you can't see the led die because of the phosphor layer.

if that nettle one can be hung from the ceiling so it doesn’t have the doofy looking stand I’d take a chance on it IF the fan is off like 99.99% of the time.

if that nettle one can be hung from the ceiling so it doesn’t have the doofy looking stand I’d take a chance on it IF the fan is off like 99.99% of the time.
Yes it can be hang. For the fan that would depend on the power your pushing on the LEDS. This said all lights I have seen with fans are virtually silent. The Vivid II I used to have was totally silent.

I had a vivid and sent it back because the fans I thought were very intrusive 😅

Back