• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slow 60 (ADA 60p low tech)

Some plants are too robust (Aponogeton, Echinodorus, some Cryptocorynes) for a rather small tank, I'm afraid.

Lots of things moving in and out as part of shutting down another ‘temporary’ tank. Went from this glorious view with the pots on suckers dumped on the front and a pile of epiphytes…
1C6A8D90-FFC2-44CF-99F4-159C7C90A4CE.jpeg

…to something I’m really very pleased with. Small crypts grew pretty well in their little pots, and are now in the foreground:
28A2DBF6-CB41-4D2E-96D5-866389330FCD.jpeg

Also bit the bullet and swapped the fancy Twinstar for two Leddy lights. Other half thinks I’m imagining things, but I do think the colours are more pleasing, and it’s really nice to be able to see into the tank from the top.
Ferts are TNC complete, plus squirt of iron and bit of Epsom salts when I remember. Lights now on for about 8 hours.

6 embers seem fine, shrimp breeding like mad. Interestingly, most of my limpets have gone, but I’ve a few more tiny snails than before.
Thinking about adding a few more fish: I’d love some CPDs but I worry about getting healthy fish. Might go for pygmy cories after all.

Tank ticking along. Weekly 30ish % WC, plus ferts regime the same. Floaters perking up which is a good sign.
Last week I removed the big echinodorus ozelot (= cos lettuce) and a lagenandra, and shuffled some of the crypts into the space freed up. This was all surprisingly not messy, but blimey the crypts throw out long runners.
The most exciting news is the addition of 6 CPDs! They’ve been in for 4 days and seem to have settled ok. I love that they prefer it lower in the tank than the embers, lurking under the crypts at the front. Tank feels really quite full of life now with the vast numbers of shrimp.
Turns out they are very hard to photograph.
A28FEDFF-512E-4C31-A501-EAD946958A87.jpeg

I have given up trying to keep the sand uncovered with bits of soil. Reminder to self: sand or soil, not both.

Tank nearly 5 months old. I really need to get in and do a good clean and prune - including the thick layer of floating plants - but here’s an update.
09D8911C-AC83-4DCB-BB46-C5FC15DE15DC.jpeg
C0C768DB-0EA9-4C14-8A0A-B9C5B0DB3485.jpeg

Pleasingly, my ceratopteris is finally doing the curly surface thing (not shown). Moved a crypt flamingo into a little pot to give it some more light.
I’ve just added the monstera at the back on a sucker cup; it’s been growing in a separate pot of water quite happily so I’m optimistic.
551E07F5-3E6B-438F-885E-6A7F35CF87F3.jpeg

Good news is that I’ve still got a nymphaea. The main plant died back in my previous tank, and this is the little secondary bulb it had produced - it lives!
General regime is unchanged. I have an assortment of algae here and there, but nothing out of control; the only exception is the front right corner which I think has very little water circulation.
CPDs have made friends with the embers - and one continually trails round after them. It’s quite cute.

I vote for more embers, they really do get more confidence with 12 +.
Thanks, I’m not sure where to go regarding fish. This is my only tank, and I’m very keen not to overstock - but it’s not big enough to be a community tank as such I guess with several different species, tempting as that is. Having said that, I’m idly thinking about Otos, but I’ve heard they can be tricky.

Not a lot going on. I did battle some fluffy green algae round the filter, but have managed to remove most of it and at the same time I also replaced the sponge which was getting on a bit. Interestingly, the algae did smell unpleasant.
483F0023-048F-4AD7-82AB-AB8246DE501E.jpeg

Needs a damn good clean and prune, including a lot of runners from the crypts.
Monstera growing out the back is doing really well.

Not a lot going on. I did battle some fluffy green algae round the filter, but have managed to remove most of it and at the same time I also replaced the sponge which was getting on a bit. Interestingly, the algae did smell unpleasant.
Thats my kind of tank! Absolutely great looking. 👍

Cheers,
Michael

Love this plant, though I appreciate that cutting a leaf off might be a funny way to show it…
626CBBF2-8476-4955-9074-A0EF3729A5F5.jpeg

And FINALLY some interesting colour morphs in the shrimp!
3EB95B65-A336-429A-A88D-E016FB952E6A.jpeg

DA043D24-5852-4EEB-B4C7-A226CA681DB1.jpeg

One CPD looks a bit off, and another one appears to have vanished in the last 2 days. Bit of a worry.

So one of the CPDs has died, and one has some fluffy patches. Now, this is probably coincidence but this time last year I also lost a fish randomly, and both then and now this is about a week after I gave the shrimp a lolly.
Could the shrimp lollies be responsible? I feel like this is unlikely, but here’s the wrapper anyway. I’m still doing my big weekly water change.
7E957B94-2A92-474E-969A-89419B7DB2A8.jpeg

Well, pygmy cories are my new favorite thing! Thanks to a UKAPS buddy for these adorable creatures. There are a little group of 5 who I’ve seen at least once all happily snuffling about together.
61BCCB41-117C-458F-BDAD-D6B1400FC466.jpeg

I particularly love that they make the CPDs look big…
(Further to the last post, I did lose the second poorly CPD, so waited a good time before adding anything else - all the other fish are fine.)
Tank is well overdue a good trim.

In equally pressing news, my Fe source has run out. I’ve just been using an off the shelf ‘Iron’ additive liquid product, but after reading round including @KirstyF ’s brilliant thread, I’m going to get some DTPA. This is because (a) I don’t really think in my small, non-CO2 tank with moderately hard water I will notice much difference what I get, and (b) I saved a link for some for £6 off eBay which was posted somewhere on ukaps = path of least resistance.
Plant gurus please feel free to advise on (a) before I press buy.

Back