• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I’m a Mum!

KirstyF

So…the back story here is:

I clean the pre-filters on my two Oase Biomasters every week and fairly often find teeny tiny shrimplets in the filter tube…so I always tip the water into a container, scoop out any little babies and pop them into my smaller low tech to grow on a bit.

The inlets on the main tank are super awkward to access due to huge tank, huge lid and very short arms, so I’ve not gone down the route of adding sponges or fine mesh, which would need cleaning every week, but I’ve got super fine mesh in the shrimp tank inlet where it’s nice and easy to get to.

I’ve also occasionally found what appeared to be minuscule fry, basically two eyes and bit of transparent tail, barely 2mm long and entirely unidentifiable. They’ve gone in the shrimp tank too.

I am beyond childishly excited to have found two (what I believe to be) peacock goby/gudgeon fry swimming about in the shrimp tank this week. 🥰

A286766E-8ED4-4932-A4A2-408FD9102919.jpeg

Just one in this pic. Lousy photo but it is only about 5mm long!

I’ve never seen any fry in the main tank and with 100 hungry mouths in there I guess that’s no surprise, so I’m just delighted to see these two little survivors.

It’s not like I’ve not had baby fish before but with the losses I’ve had from TB in this set-up it feels a bit like ‘life will find a way’.

Could be hope for my fishes yet! 😊

They are still trucking and were kind enough to get near the glass for me so I could get a slightly better pic.
View attachment 195769

And there’s actually a 3rd one. Less than half the size of these two but definitely a Peacock Gudgeon. 😊

What do you think they've been eating? Just infusoria etc.? Do you feed anything to the shrimp in that tank?

What do you think they've been eating? Just infusoria etc.? Do you feed anything to the shrimp in that tank?

This tank is shrimp only (and snails) so yeah, they get fed a variety of shrimp foods, shrimp sticks once a week and the occasional bit of bee pollen and I leave them to do most of the maintenance (other than weekly water changes, I haven’t trained them to do that yet😂) so they get to ‘clean up’ the odd bits of leaf die off etc, I’m guessing there has therefore been enough food to keep the PG’s happy all this time I didn’t know they were there. I’ve now started adding my usual fish mix in tiny amounts but crushed with a pestle and mortar. (This includes bug bites, granules and flake)

There’s probably at least a couple of hundred shrimp in the tank (including lots of youngsters) so I feed small amounts daily.

Back