• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Post Your Pics & Videos of the Great Outdoors

Wild untamed wetland

52313551715_0344ab31e2_k.jpg

52313538854_ca5387aefd_k.jpg

IMG_5999.jpeg

IMG_6005.jpeg

Last edited:
I think they are <"Migrant Hawkers">,
Thanks, I think you're right.
The pic doesn't show the tell-tale markings on the dorsal surface which would make the ID easy.
I had been told that the Common Hawker was actually common in these parts, but looking for more identifying features I've found that's not the case. We have Southern Hawkers, and the Migrant Hawker has recently become "fairly frequent" in Leicestershire.

During the mid to late 1800s Sark was mined for silver, this was a very interesting time full of drama and tragedy.
The Cornish miners also found a particularly pretty form of Amethyst that was marketed as Sark Stone.
Most of the Amethyst was found at over 400‘ deep and over 100’ below sea level but there was also smaller mines that produced the gem stone.
We went on a trip to try and find one of the old excavations that was made in the back of a sea cave ….

Looking at those man made openings and the tools they would have used then guess there were a few tragic events. Awesome scenery

Hi all,
......... and a few recent moths, "Green Carpet", "Pink-barred Sallow", "Frosted Orange" and "Centre-barred Sallow".

cheers Darrel

Attachments

• Pink-barred_SallowSept2022.jpeg
    Pink-barred_SallowSept2022.jpeg
    523.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Green_Carpet.jpeg
    Green_Carpet.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
  • Centre-barred_Sallow2022.jpeg
    Centre-barred_Sallow2022.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 76
  • frosted_orange2022.jpg
    frosted_orange2022.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
and since we have had some mining pics, this is Pary's mountain, also on Anglesey

Unfortunately it was a dull day when we got there but the colours were intense. Quite a strange but interesting place.

P1070431.jpg
P1070438.jpg
P1070464.jpg

Hi all,
We saw this on Anglesey
I think that one is either the "Meadow Grasshopper" (Chorthippus paralellus) or "Lesser Marsh Grasshopper" (Chorthippus albomarginatus), but you need to see the markings on the back of the thorax.
Pary's mountain, also on Anglesey

Unfortunately it was a dull day when we got there but the colours were intense. Quite a strange but interesting place.
Parys Mountain gets a <"mention elsewhere"> in this thread. Probably the <"strangest place I've ever been">.

cheers Darrel

Yes some horrendous events happened during the mining years, many life changing injuries and tragedies occurred.
I can write more derails if anyone is interested …..
I find it interesting how hard previous generations had to work and overcome their situations. I remember a few years ago holiday on the North York moors we took a visit to Bridlington there's a small history museum on the sea front.Brid is famed for it's fishing history. There was the story in there of a fishing boat (no health and safety in 1800s) were miles out to sea the skipper had a bad accident one of his arms completely ripped off . The crew so traumatized by the horror he had to steer the boat back to harbour with one arm. Old photos were up l seem to remember he survived and pictures of him back at sea

Back