• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Silicone Hose

I’ve read some good comments about using Silicone hose on canister filters. Anyone on here used it? The 16/22 PVC hose I’m using is not very flexible and I’m dreading removing it to clean it out.

I'd be interested to try it, I have the same reservation about the 16/22 pvc .. bought some to replace the hose on my Fluval and the stuff is so inflexible. Have you managed to source 16/22 silicone tube?
You go first and flood your room, obvously!

I’ve read some good comments about using Silicone hose on canister filters. Anyone on here used it? The 16/22 PVC hose I’m using is not very flexible and I’m dreading removing it to clean it out.
Yes the PVC hose is a pain when it ages. You should use a heat gun to soften it up if you have to remove it from a hose barb. Silicone hose is the way to go next time around. Stays completely flexible forever. My advice if you are looking to purchase some is to only buy the thick wall version of the diameter you want. For example amazon sells some 16mm id x 18mm od, not the type you want, and the thick walled 16mm id x 21mm od. The thicker wall is far superior by having a higher burst strength and won't collapse when making tighter bends.
As a side mote I am a bit paranoid about leaks so I use band clamps at all my connections. I would recommend the non perforated style clamp these
Screenshot 2022-09-13 at 20-05-01 ABA Products & Solutions NORMA Group.png

The standard perforated work but because the silicone is softer than PVC the perforations in the clamp cut into the silicone hose. At best when you need to remove the hose you must cut the damage portion off when it comes time to reinstall and at worst it tears and causes a leak while installed. There are also smooth band plastic clamps like these that might work but I haven't tried them.

Screenshot 2022-09-13 at 20-10-55 Glarks 121Pcs 8 Size Heavy Duty Black Double Gripping Nylon ...png

Last edited:
Yes the PVC hose is a pain when it ages. You should use a heat gun to soften it up if you have to remove it from a hose barb. Silicone hose is the way to go next time around. Stays completely flexible forever. My advice if you are looking to purchase some is to only buy the thick wall version of the diameter you want. For example amazon sells some 16mm id x 18mm od, not the type you want, and the thick walled 16mm id x 21mm od. The thicker wall is far superior by having a higher burst strength and won't collapse when making tighter bends.
As a side mote I am a bit paranoid about leaks so I use band clamps at all my connections. I would recommend the non perforated style clamp these
View attachment 194481

The standard perforated work but because the silicone is softer than PVC the perforations in the clamp cut into the silicone hose. At best when you need to remove the hose you must cut the damage portion off when it comes time to reinstall and at worst it tears and causes a leak while installed. There are also smooth band plastic clamps like these that might work but I haven't tried them.

View attachment 194483
Like these..... apparently there is a time limit on editing one's post???

Screenshot 2022-09-13 at 20-13-19 Plastic Hose Clamp - Herbie Clip - 1.47 - 1.61inch - Black -...png

If silicone hose is ok ,wonder why manafacturers don't adapt this? Maybe they like customers wrestling with a python

If silicone hose is ok ,wonder why manafacturers don't adapt this
Because silicone tubing has quite a few issues:
  • It is very very expensive compared to standard PVC/polyurethane tubing. Quality silicone is maybe 10 times more expensive.
  • Silicone is hard to clamp and can suffer from creep if using standard jubilee type clips, especially if the wall is thick. In industry there are special silicone hose tube clamps (with serations) , or "bodge it" using two clamps.
  • Silicone is slightly permeable to gases, CO2 is one that can cause silicone to change either harden or soften depending on CO2 level. This can cause issues with clamps. This can be why silicone air hose goes hard in water.
  • Silicone is slightly permeable to water, again this is why silicone hose can go hard in water.
  • Silicone is prone to "twist collapsing", put a twist in it and it may collapse.
  • Silicone hoses are slightly "sticky" and attract dust and dirt that can be an issue to wipe off. Not helped as silicone is slightly permeable to water.
  • Silicone hoses are attacked by oils. An oily finger print on silicone tubing can lead to weakness.
  • Silicone tubing from China vastly different than say silicone tubing from Germany, but many many times cheaper.

Looking at possible sources of supply, Silicone seems to be the preferred material for hoses in vending machines, medical applications and the automotive industry.

I found this UK supplier.

“This hose may be used in food/beverages, pharmaceutical applications, fishing, fish ponds, Aquariums and many more. Water Council and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved materials for use specifically within hygiene-critical applications.“

The 16/22mm works out at about £16 a metre inc vat.

Edit: I’ve just seen this:

“Special information about canister filter hoses

We’ve compiled several “pro tips” for working with filter hoses and tubing.

The best type of tubing is made of thick-walled silicone. The combination of thick walls and flexibility prevents kinking even in tight bends. Silicone tubing is soft compared to other plastics. This makes it easy to push barbed inlet and outlet fittings into the hoses. Silicone tubing doesn’t have a “memory.” Even though it’s coiled up in the filter box, it will roll out straight without any bends or kinks.”

Because silicone tubing has quite a few issues:
  • It is very very expensive compared to standard PVC/polyurethane tubing. Quality silicone is maybe 10 times more expensive.
  • Silicone is hard to clamp and can suffer from creep if using standard jubilee type clips, especially if the wall is thick. In industry there are special silicone hose tube clamps (with serations) , or "bodge it" using two clamps.
  • Silicone is slightly permeable to gases, CO2 is one that can cause silicone to change either harden or soften depending on CO2 level. This can cause issues with clamps. This can be why silicone air hose goes hard in water.
  • Silicone is slightly permeable to water, again this is why silicone hose can go hard in water.
  • Silicone is prone to "twist collapsing", put a twist in it and it may collapse.
  • Silicone hoses are slightly "sticky" and attract dust and dirt that can be an issue to wipe off. Not helped as silicone is slightly permeable to water.
  • Silicone hoses are attacked by oils. An oily finger print on silicone tubing can lead to weakness.
  • Silicone tubing from China vastly different than say silicone tubing from Germany, but many many times cheaper.
I disagree with just about every one of your points as from experience have not seen any of them in practice. I work with engines and we use silicon hoses, fiber reinforced and normal. They experience all kinds of oil and chemicals and don't degrade.
There are different grades of silicone hose and most of the time one can tell that by how expensive, or not, the hose is. I bought some cheap stuff from china and it was garbage, smelled weird, was extremely stretchy, and tore easily. Needless to say I didn't use it for the aquarium. I do use it in the shop for fluid transfer, oil engine and trans, brake fluid, coolant and what not and surprisingly it still held up.
You absolutely do not want to use any hose clamps with serrations as this will damage the silicone hose and cause tears. I do agree with your last point.

I disagree with just about every one of your points as from experience have not seen any of them in practice. I work with engines and we use silicon hoses, fiber reinforced and normal. They experience all kinds of oil and chemicals and don't degrade.
There are different grades of silicone hose and most of the time one can tell that by how expensive, or not, the hose is. I bought some cheap stuff from china and it was garbage, smelled weird, was extremely stretchy, and tore easily. Needless to say I didn't use it for the aquarium. I do use it in the shop for fluid transfer, oil engine and trans, brake fluid, coolant and what not and surprisingly it still held up.
You absolutely do not want to use any hose clamps with serrations as this will damage the silicone hose and cause tears. I do agree with your last point.

Agreed. Looking online a little further some pieces of reef equipment in the US comes with 1/2” and 5/8” Silicone hose as standard in lengths up to 80”. I’ve also seen a few German manufacturers are using it.

E72D7F7E-C245-4445-BB69-46885C88574D.jpeg

Agreed. Looking online a little further some pieces of reef equipment in the US comes with 1/2” and 5/8” Silicone hose as standard in lengths up to 80”. I’ve also seen a few German manufacturers are using it.

View attachment 194496
Yes fractional sizes work fine as well so 1/2" = 12mm, 5/8" = 16mm not an exact measurement but close enough. If going with fractional sizing then most thick wall 1/2" and 5/8" will have a 1/8" wall thickness.

So far I’ve seen 16/21mm, 16/22mm, 16/24mm and even 16/26mm silicon hose. Sadly all of it is quite pricey. I’m going to try some 16/22 if I can get some quality stuff at a good price. There is also mention of Platinum cured and Peroxide cured, not sure what difference it makes and the consequences for Aquarium use? The former seems to be a premium product though.

So far I’ve seen 16/21mm, 16/22mm, 16/24mm and even 16/26mm silicon hose. Sadly all of it is quite pricey. I’m going to try some 16/22 if I can get some quality stuff at a good price. There is also mention of Platinum cured and Peroxide cured, not sure what difference it makes and the consequences for Aquarium use? The former seems to be a premium product though.
Platinum Cured Silicone

Platinum cured silicone sheeting and tubing is non-yellowing and has a clearer appearance than peroxide cured silicone. It is preferred by the pharmaceutical, food and beverage industries due to its transparency and lack of peroxide by-products.

This type of silicone has better tensile and tear strength. It can be used without talc and is generally considered to be the cleaner silicone. However, it is more difficult to create because of the fairly high temperatures required to cure the silicone. For manufacturers, the compound is also more expensive to buy and once mixed, must be moulded within 24-36 hours.

Peroxide Cured Silicone

Peroxide cured silicone sheeting and tubing can be more cost-effective than platinum cured type, as the raw ingredients are cheaper to acquire and so the finished pro, therefore, be sold at a lower price. It is also easier to produce, thanks to the lower temperatures that are needed to cure the silicone. The peroxide cure gives the silicone a longer shelf life and can be used for a longer period.

However, unlike platinum compound, peroxide silicone can go yellow over time, this is due to the peroxide catalyst. Platinum is a lot clearer and does not taint, unlike the peroxide grade, this is why it has become first choice for food and beverages manufacturers.

Really like the platinum cured for its clarity. The price not so much unless you can find a deal. Look at it this way though, you buy silicone tube and it a one time purchase it is good for the rest of you life so why not buy the best?! Really though..... I have used both, and for our purposes, the peroxide cured will work fine.
Side note : Almost all china stuff is peroxide cured with a low Duro Shore rating.
To get an idea of what the different hardness scales mean, 25 Duro silicone can be easily compressed with your fingers – think of the rubber that rubber bands are made of. 80 Duro silicone is much harder to compress, more like the rubber in a shoe sole.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, all useful information. Tunze seem to sell several sizes of Silicone hose but the the nearest I could find is this. It will fit my stainless inlet/outlet pipes fine with a clip or cable tie but likely too big for my Biomaster 350?

F78BD5C2-F797-4ABF-916B-6FD6E307171A.jpeg

Thanks for that, all useful information. Tunze seem to sell several sizes of Silicone hose but the the nearest I could find is this. It will fit my stainless inlet/outlet pipes fine with a clip or cable tie but likely too big for my Biomaster 350?

View attachment 194541
The biomaster 350 has 16mm/ 5/8" hose barb connections. I would ideally like to source some 16mm/5/8" hose but if if this is all you can find then it can work if certain conditions are met. I do not have a Biomaster 350 but Fluval uses similar hose connections. I would recommend to spin off the stock hose capture nut on the in/out pipe assembly.

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG
IMG_1511.JPG

Put the non perforated hose clamp right there after you push the hose on and it should hold fine. This is the procedure I use for my silicone hoses albeit with 5/8" ID hose.

Thanks for that but I’m way ahead of you 😉. I’m not that keen on many filter hose fittings so I’ve added cable ties to my current hoses. As you say removing the nuts may be a better option for Silicone hoses. I’ve also thought of getting a spare Biomaster hose adapter and seeing if I can modify it to make it more suitable. I need to source the hose first. I’m still bulking a bit at the price and I have other expenses to deal with at the moment.

ED62A947-B55D-46BA-99FC-24CB5C06EE2B.jpeg

Thanks for that but I’m way ahead of you 😉. I’m not that keen on many filter hose fittings so I’ve added cable ties to my current hoses. As you say removing the nuts may be a better option for Silicone hoses. I’ve also thought of getting a spare Biomaster hose adapter and seeing if I can modify it to make it more suitable. I need to source the hose first. I’m still bulking a bit at the price and I have other expenses to deal with at the moment.

View attachment 194585
I would use proper sized spring clamps like these personally...
s-l500.jpg

Cable ties will apply uneven pressure to the circumference of the hose and often leak from the connection point when used as hose clamps.

I would use proper sized spring clamps like these personally...
View attachment 197792
Cable ties will apply uneven pressure to the circumference of the hose and often leak from the connection point when used as hose clamps.
The cable ties are on a slightly tapered part of the fitting so the clamps you suggest wouldn’t fit. ;)
I also don’t like the fact that unlike cable ties you have to remove the hose to fit them and tools are required.
No sign of any leaks with the cable ties.

The cable ties are on a slightly tapered part of the fitting so the clamps you suggest wouldn’t fit. ;)
I also don’t like the fact that unlike cable ties you have to remove the hose to fit them and tools are required.
No sign of any leaks with the cable ties.
Roger that but, clamps come in many styles and sizes. They may not leak as the threaded collars and barbs will help seal but, I just figured I would let you know they aren't the right clamp for the application and will be prone to leaking. I was a mechanic for couple of decades and saw them leak many times when used as hose clamps. They also leak on my water change system with similar hose(its getting proper clamps soon).

I used to be a mechanic and we often used Jubilee clips on replacement hoses as some original hose clamps couldn’t be re used. Jubilee clips even being made of metal will conform to fit the shape of the hose, much like a cable tie will. You can in fact get stainless steel cable ties.
I personally wouldn’t use a CT on a car except as a temporary emergency measure.
We are though talking about fluids under pressure. The pressure on most external canister filters is very low so the supplied barbs and nuts are expected to keep the hoses in place. I’ve not experienced any difficulties with them to date but just added the cables clips as an Added precaution.
My stainless steel lily pipes don’t have any hose retainers on them at all but I doubt they’re going anywhere given how I’ve pushed the hose onto them. Provided the hose is replaced once every few years I’m not expecting any problems.
Silicone hose however is much softer so that’s a completely different matter. The suitability of silicone hose connected to standard aquarium fittings is, along with the high cost, one of the reasons I’m not rushing to try the material.
I’d much rather inspect the quality in person but that possibility doesn’t seem likely at the moment. I still don’t like PVC/Vinyl hose though!
I’ve actually got a long length of very small diameter airline hose for use on my air compressor and it’s extremely flexible. I can’t help thinking therefore that there must be something better out there than the stuff sold in fish shops but the limiting factor is probably the actual fittings on aquarium equipment?

Back