• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Insane tour of large private reef tank

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Wonder how much he spent building it and what are the daily running costs for all that stuff! mind-blowing!

It is very impressive - too many fish for my liking though, it stops it looking natural, but very impressive from a technical standpoint.

what are the daily running costs

I'm not sure he's too concerned given he appears to hire someone to look after it daily (he asks the guy with them how many feeds are done per day)!

And here’s me dreaming of being able to have bigger than a 60cm like a child putting a moonbase on the Christmas list. 🙄

Have to agree, wookii, way too many fish for my tastes.

Outrageous o_O How else are you going to spend your money when you're as rich as Croesus...
And is that a genuine Jackson Pollock on the wall above the sofa?

Quite possibly! 😂 Google reveals the guy is a New York hedge fund manager!

Last edited:
I've only watched the first minute but unless that's a deliberate click bait title, that guy has been fleeced hard (which does hapen i know a guy that used to supply celebrity tanks and they charged 3x the price). It looks a nice system (if you take out half the fish) but millions of dollars, no way.

We have a smaller but nice setup in the uk owned by David Saxby (owner of d-ď aquarium solutions). It's had various iterations and looked better in the past ime but the last time I saw it, it was still impressive.

I've only watched the first minute but unless that's a deliberate click bait title, that guy has been fleeced hard (which does hapen i know a guy that used to supply celebrity tanks and they charged 3x the price). It looks a nice system (if you take out half the fish) but millions of dollars, no way.

We have a smaller but nice setup in the uk owned by David Saxby (owner of d-ď aquarium solutions). It's had various iterations and looked better in the past ime but the last time I saw it, it was still impressive.
Could also be that it cost millions if you look at it with all the stock?

David Saxby aquarium is amazing everytime l look at it makes me want a salty venture

If it is a full design-build-maintain (including replacing any parts due to wear and tear) contract, maybe for at least 5 years, millions is entirely possible.

Those familiar with IT will know that the recurring maintenance costs are where the vendors milk their customers for money...... and in return, the customer is supposed to get 'peace of mind' that everything is taken care of.

Having actually watched the vid now (before youtube had seemingly skipped to another one which is why I was surprised by the price, plus I'm a bit dopey) I can truely believe it cost that much and all I can say is wow, that's some dedication and most public aquaria would be very jealous of such a setup.

He had quite the fish collection. I spotted 7 genicanthus personatus which would have been 15k or so at that time. The centropyge abei were about 30-40k at one point and there were just so many others which are still dream fish to most but not in the same league, like the wrought iron butterfly, conspic angelfish or crosshatch triggers.

This is a long video so more for reef nerds but it's the long island reef which is arguably the best longterm public aquarium reef tank out there. I think it got mentioned at the end of the above video.

Back