• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blyxa japonica in a low tech tank?

zoon

I have a juwel vision 180 with the stock multilux LEDs on for 6hrs/day. Use dry salts as ferts, but lower dose than EI, based on getting good growth but no algae!

Planted heavily with loads of easy stems, crypts and epiphytes.

There is a space towards the front that is crying out for a plant and I love the look of Blyxa, but worry it needs more light/co2 than my tank gets.

Can it be grown low tech? This area of the tank has sand substrate, but have plenty of clay balls and root tabs I can put in there

If not Blyxa, any other suggestions? Already have crypt parva and s repens at the front.

Ive grown Blyxa low tech, it did just fine :)
It wont be as rampant as it is with CO2, but it grows well enough.
It appreciates being allowed to build a good root system and not being disturbed too much.
If possible I would bury a cup of aquasoil in your sand and plant the Blyxa into that :)
Be careful with root tabs, especially in sand. Sometimes they do more harm than good

Plants are good economists. They don't create huge roots because they require nutrient-rich substrate, but rather the opposite:
(1) They are used to nutrient-poor substrates (as well as water column) and long roots are required to reach nutrients, and/or
(2) they take up CO2 through their roots.
I don't remember ever reading a paper mentioning Blyxa among the plants specialized in CO2 uptake through their roots, but many monocots belong into this group (Vallisneria, Eriocaulon, Littorella).
Right now I'm testing Blyxa in five low-tech tanks. It seems to grow best in very soft, slightly acidic (pH around 6.3) water, plain silica sand.

I have hard water, am I best to avoid and choose an alternative?

Hi all,

Yes, I think you probably are. Cryptocoryne x willisii?

cheers Darrel
I have some of that already 😉

Will give up on the Blyxa idea, I love the low maintenance of this tank and don’t want anything that struggles in it

Erio Vietnam “should” work for you. It worked for me but my low tech was v shallow. I’d risk a pot and if it works then add more.

Back