• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

APT Fix

I have no personal experience but looking at online literature you will need to experiment thickening with powdered Starches, Gelatine or Agar. These will cross link with the Glute lengthening the molecule and causing gelling, I have no idea if crosslinking the Glute with these products will inactivate the Glute. I had a cursory look at whether Glute crosslinks with itself at higher concentrations (self gelling) and I couldn’t find anything, I suspect it might.

:)

I have an idea what the active ingredient may be. But, I'm keeping that close to my chest for the moment. Chemistry isn't my forte but I'd be happy to exchange ideas with any professional Chemists. I just don't want to be the instigator of bad science, if that makes sense.
Hi Everyone,

I am just about to contradict myself. At the risk of instigating bad science, I'm going to take a chance and suggest that APT Fix is based on formaldehyde. As an introduction, please see the following:

"formaldehyde is produced from epoxy resins " and:

JPC

Appears Glutaraldehyde will cross link Lipids and Proteins in the presence of Epoxides and form copolymers.

Cyanobacteria are rich in Glycerolipids.

Might just be gumming up the works to starve Cyano to death.

Some Sources -

Glutaraldehyde: behavior in aqueous solution, reaction with proteins, and application to enzyme crosslinking -

Glutaraldehyde-crosslinked poly(glycidol-block-ethylene oxide-block-glycidol) networks with temperature- responsive swelling -

Microalgae and Cyanobacteria Strains as Producers of Lipids with Antibacterial and Antibiofilm Activity -

Hi Folks,

The 2Hr Aquarist website states "APT FIX contains a proprietary formulation of epoxy aldehydes". And, on the basis that "formaldehyde is produced from epoxy resins", it doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest that APT Fix may be based on formaldehyde, does it?

At the end of the day, I would much rather get to the root cause of algae infestations rather than rely on magic potions.

JPC

Hi all,
And, on the basis that "formaldehyde is produced from epoxy resins", it doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest that APT Fix may be based on formaldehyde, does it?
Formalin (an aqueous solution of formaldehyde) has been / is used (partially) as an <"algaecide on Salmon farms"> etc. All these substances are really biocides (<"formalin is used for fish parasite control"> etc) and you are reliant on your target organism dying before your fish etc. does.

Personally I wouldn't use any of them ever, but peoples priorities differ.

I note, from the Salmon farming link, that one Scottish Salmon Farm got through 4.4 tonnes of formalin in a month and over 18 tonnes altogether in 2018.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all, Formaldehyde doesn't have any epoxide linkage and would no longer be available to the general public because of its carcinogenic properties.
A possible candidate would be 2,3 epoxy propan 1 al ( also known as Glycinaldehyde; 2,3-Epoxy-1-propanal; 2,3-Epoxypropanal; 2,3-Epoxypropionaldehyde; Epihydrinaldehyde; Epihydrine aldehyde; Epoxypropanal; Formyloxiran; Glycidal; Oxirane-carboxaldehyde; Propionaldehyde, 2,3-epoxy-; Oxiranecarboxaldehyde;)
This is basically Glutaraldehyde with an epoxy linkage. I don't know how they get away with bypassing health and safety if it is this as both the aldehyde and epoxy groups would make this irritant at the least and more likely toxic .
I haven't been able to find an EU source, possibly its because of the REACH regulations, but it is available in China.
Unfortunately after retiring I no longer have access to any analytical equipment so its just hypothesis. If anyone has any other ideas?
Cheers
John

Hi all,
2,3 epoxy propan 1 al ( also known as Glycinaldehyde; 2,3-Epoxy-1-propanal; 2,3-Epoxypropanal; 2,3-Epoxypropionaldehyde; Epihydrinaldehyde; Epihydrine aldehyde; Epoxypropanal; Formyloxiran; Glycidal; Oxirane-carboxaldehyde; Propionaldehyde, 2,3-epoxy-; Oxiranecarboxaldehyde
Don't you just love organic chemistry.
Unfortunately after retiring I no longer have access to any analytical equipment so its just hypothesis. If anyone has any other ideas?
We have a HPLC, what we don't have at the moment is an chemist and I believe the method itself isn't entirely straightforward?
Derivatization in HPLC methods is required to transform the analyte into a form that can be detected with the required sensitivity and selectivity........ Glutaraldehyde is a compound with no chromophore group so that it must be derivatized with DNPH. DNPH was titrated to determine optimal derivatization conditions......

cheers Darrel

Formalin (an aqueous solution of formaldehyde) has been / is used (partially) as an <"algaecide on Salmon farms"> etc. All these substances are really biocides (<"formalin is used for fish parasite control"> etc) and you are reliant on your target organism dying before your fish etc. does.
Hi all, Formaldehyde doesn't have any epoxide linkage and would no longer be available to the general public because of its carcinogenic properties.
Hi @dw1305 & @jolt100

Many thanks to both of you for correcting me.

JPC

I have no personal experience but looking at online literature you will need to experiment thickening with powdered Starches, Gelatine or Agar. These will cross link with the Glute lengthening the molecule and causing gelling, I have no idea if crosslinking the Glute with these products will inactivate the Glute. I had a cursory look at whether Glute crosslinks with itself at higher concentrations (self gelling) and I couldn’t find anything, I suspect it might.

I do know that Glut forms a linear polymer chain by crosslinking with itself when boiled. Maybe Agar might work when added to boiling Glut as a thickener in minute qtys

Hi everybody. Sorry for resurrecting the topic. I am struggling with bristle algae in my 4 month old aquarium. I thought the vivid mini looked very strong. After a 15-day vacation, the tank became infested with hair algae. It's really hard to get rid of them. I'm sure apt fix will tire me out with spot dosing. Algae is everywhere and since the tank is relatively young I don't want to reset it. Have you ever tried apt fix by dosing it directly into the tank? If yes, what algae species have you had success with by dosing directly into the tank? Do you think Apt Fix can kill hair algae without spot dosing? Sorry for my bad English, I joined you to ask these questions. I have great hope from you :)

@gattar5050, you should try and tell us.
I saw someone on youtube mixing the APT Fix with his tank water in a small cup, then spot dosing and put the leftover into the tank.

Back