• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Pond plants

Rozza

I'm building a new pond in the UK which will have some fish, lilly's and marginal plants.

There's loads of information on aquarium plants and lots of varieties widely available. Does anyone have any recommendations on what plants to plant in a pond and what plants avoid?

I'm building a new pond in the UK which will have some fish, lilly's and marginal plants.

There's loads of information on aquarium plants and lots of varieties widely available. Does anyone have any recommendations on what plants to plant in a pond and what plants avoid?
Hey Rozza!

Great to hear you're building a pond, can never have too many in my opinion.

In terms of plants, that really is an endless list. I think a good place to start is hunt for some inspiration online of the style that you'd like to emulate, or maybe you've got your own ideas already! I would then use that to figure out what type of plants will fit that vision.

Alternatively, you could cast most of your vision aside and go directly to a garden centre and get inspired by what you see. I definitely chose plants for my pond that I didn't plan to after seeing them in person - it really makes a difference.

Do you have any pictures or sketches of the pond so far?

Hi, I would avoid yellow flag iris. They are brilliant at removing pollutants from the water but they grow too tall. Depending on how you plant them, pots or pond bottom they will get blown over.
Any native plants will need to be kept in check or they will take over but careful planting will give you colour from spring until autumn.
Good luck with your pond, there cannot be enough garden ponds.

Here's a picture of the hole where the pond will eventually be!

pond.jpg

The plan is for a waterfall at the far end, a bridge will cross the narrow part, to the top end of the garden and the nearest part is the deepest section at 1m. There is a shelf at water level that will have the rock work over the liner and be used for marginal plants and should blur the edge of the pond into the surrounding beds.

Darrel your thread sounds exactly what I'm after! I Don't want the plants to take over all the water in a season!

Ross

Back