• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

To sraybar or not to SPraybar...that is the question

Ejack

I've just been wondering lately whether its worth investing in a spraybar for my tank over the default outlet that comes with the Fluval 205. Can someone give some benefits for introducing one or is there really not that much difeerence between the two. And yes, its for a planted tank with a FE C02 system :)

Ive been thinking the same, I have a Eheim 2026 on a 250ltr planted tank... Ive fitted a lily pipe funnel (cheapo plastic, but works) yet Ive seen numerous threads on moving away from lily to spray bars..

In addition having the spray bar mounted 2" below water level along the back of the tank so water flow goes towards the front of the tank and down to the gravel creating the circular distribution required.

My tank is 4ft and Im thinking of adding another Eheim, then to run a spray bar 1x from left/ 1x from right so I cover the whole tank and make sure the CO2 gets everywhere...

I did see a post on this but cant find it ;-(

Tony

I have two different arrangements in my two tanks.

In my largest (180ltrs), I have a spraybar at the top of the back pane of glass pointing forwards. I find this is a very efficient method of maximising the flow around my aquarium to deliver co2 and ferts, especially to the foreground plants along the front.

In my nano (14ltrs), I have a lilly pipe which I've found is better in that situation for hiding it (as it's glass ware) and flow isn't too much of an issue in that small tank.

Many people use both methods and I don't think either is wrong or not. I've found that a spray bar works well for me in my large tank but with the high velocity that the water leaves the spray bar I do have some problems with plants that hit the main flow right next to the bar.

Each to their own.

Tend to agree that lilly pipes are ideal for small tanks

Im leaning to a spray bar, but if I have 2 external filters I can throttle back a little across two rather than full pelt from just one spray bar. Ive only ever seen spray bars around 18" long

tlethere said:
Ive been thinking the same, I have a Eheim 2026 on a 250ltr planted tank... Ive fitted a lily pipe funnel (cheapo plastic, but works) yet Ive seen numerous threads on moving away from lily to spray bars..

In addition having the spray bar mounted 2" below water level along the back of the tank so water flow goes towards the front of the tank and down to the gravel creating the circular distribution required.

My tank is 4ft and Im thinking of adding another Eheim, then to run a spray bar 1x from left/ 1x from right so I cover the whole tank and make sure the CO2 gets everywhere...

I did see a post on this but cant find it ;-(

Tony

i have a 240l tank with an ehiem pro2 2126 and a pro2 2028 both the spray bars are placed along the back of the tank with the inlets in the opposite corner to the respective filter outlet!

this seems to be the best config that i've found for my tank!

hi,
just speaking from my own limited experience. after replacing my small external filter about 3 months ago in a 30 liter nano with a decent eheim, the water exited the lily pipe with such force that it nearly killed a narrow leaf microsorum on bogwood at the opposite end of the tank, and created a vortex scenario which did not penetrate to the substrate level, thus my p helferi and hc did not receive co2 and nutrients and virtually faded away. i replaced the lily pipes with a spray bar mounted on the rear pane at the top pointing towards the front. you can see all the plants moving in the flow now, and the aforementioned plants have made a complete recovery. also i have been able to turn the filter up to full power whereas before i was having to stifle it. you just have to keep the rear plants trimmed to keep them below the outlow, but they shouldn't realy be trailing anyway. i'm in the process of setting up a 300 liter aquarium and the spray bars are already in place!
cheers,
bazz!

Back