• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

6ft Sumped Discus Tank

Sorry mate - the leaky bits. You can't rely on bits you know leaked. Glue won't fix it, years take their toll. Please just replace them instead of making a mess of the house. Perhaps I'm too careful but I don't like stone on glass either.

Looks like a cracking setup, looking forward to seeing it developing. I'd love a sump again. 👍
Not sure if I made it clear but all the parts are the correct parts for the job. The problem was that the reducers sit quite high up inside the bulkhead, maybe a good 30mm inside the 50mm bulkhead pipe. The fitting definitely wasn't as tight as the other plumbing I was using (possibly different tolerances between the US made overflow Vs the UK plumbing) but the biggest issue was having to slide the reducer up the pipe which caused me to lose more pvc cement. I'm quite confident in what I've done. After all if pvc cement was so easily dislodged anyone with a sump would be running into leaks within a couple years.

They're mainly biological. But I'd imagine in a heavily planted tank they actually do very little.
Mechanical comes from firstly a sponge in the overflow box itself ( this is a trial and mainly to keep shrimps out my sump. If it effects flow too much or becomes a possible flood hazard it will be removed.) Then the filter sock, then down through layers of sponges.
Hi Dan, just a question on the pot scrubbers. I'm guessing that you will be keeping your discus in a low PH setup, say around 5.5 to 6.0 PH? I have heard of the potential fir acidic water to break down the plastic over time and releasing "stuff" into the water that could potentially harm your discus.
Personally I would have gone for the large bio balls, (also plastic) but tank safe. A bit more expensive, but worth it for peace of mind. Either that or a mix of Alpha Grog and or Siporax.

Plus 1 for the comment on the leaky bits. Change them out, it ain't worth the risk.

Good luck.

Hi Dan, just a question on the pot scrubbers. I'm guessing that you will be keeping your discus in a low PH setup, say around 5.5 to 6.0 PH? I have heard of the potential fir acidic water to break down the plastic over time and releasing "stuff" into the water that could potentially harm your discus.
Personally I would have gone for the large bio balls, (also plastic) but tank safe. A bit more expensive, but worth it for peace of mind. Either that or a mix of Alpha Grog and or Siporax.

Plus 1 for the comment on the leaky bits. Change them out, it ain't worth the risk.

Good luck.
Hi mate, I won't be messing around with my water for the Discus. As it happens my water is nice soft water at around 6.6-7ph but stability is key in my experience with Discus. Aiming for particular pH etc is just another chore and fail point when it's not really necessary, especially not with how hardy UK bred Discus are nowadays.
With regards to the pot scrubbers, Its my first time using them, but I have read those stories yes. I've also read many people use them without issue including my local Discus guy and has done for years. If he has seen no Ill effects on his thousands of pounds worth of Discus that's good enough for me to give them a try. Of course I will keep a close eye on them and any sign of decomposing they'll be whipped straight out 👍.

Did a little scaping today. I'm about there I think! Still got a few bits of wood with Java Fern on soaking that I'll use to fill in any gaps.
What do you guys think?
IMG_20220601_153522_1.jpg
IMG_20220601_153531_2.jpg
IMG_20220601_153512_7.jpg

I think will be great one planted. Simplicity is great. Maybe some vallis, ferns, crypts, buces and anubias would be my choice.
I would love to have another go at discus again, but London supplies hard water and dont have means to soften water for such a large tank. Hurry up and plant it up!! :D

That looks great, really strong hardscape. Will look good no matter how you plant it.

Will such a large amount of seiryu rock be ok with the discus? It’s limestone and can harden water by a fair amount.

Cheers
Thanks mate.
Honestly I'm unsure how the rock will effect the water, it looks more rock than it is though, the pieces are quite thin, I think about 30kg worth in 600 litres.
But whatever it does I've got no concerns on the Discus. I'll be going with UK bred Discus, perfectly happy living in anything I can throw at them 👍.

Thanks mate.
Honestly I'm unsure how the rock will effect the water, it looks more rock than it is though, the pieces are quite thin, I think about 30kg worth in 600 litres.
But whatever it does I've got no concerns on the Discus. I'll be going with UK bred Discus, perfectly happy living in anything I can throw at them 👍.
So are you going with Stendker Discus from Devotedly Discus then. When are the plants going in?

So are you going with Stendker Discus from Devotedly Discus then. When are the plants going in?
Probably not Stendker. More than likely Punchard Discus, or Just Discus. Both have been breeding donkeys years from wild stock. I have Durham Discus close by who would have been my preferred choice, however he only gets Malaysian Discus in and although fantastic quality the price is double that of most other breeders/dealers.
Plants are hopefully going in tomorrow, been a little held up due to Jubilee weekend but I've received my DPD email for tomorrow's delivery so fingers crossed.

Hi @NorthernDan

I'm envious of your DIY skills. :rolleyes:

BTW, you'll no doubt notice that you and I have the same avatar. But, I'm happy to change mine tomorrow as I've never kept Discus. That way, it should avoid any confusion. I'll find an alternative.

JPC

Hi @NorthernDan

I'm envious of your DIY skills. :rolleyes:

BTW, you'll no doubt notice that you and I have the same avatar. But, I'm happy to change mine tomorrow as I've never kept Discus. That way, it should avoid any confusion. I'll find an alternative.

JPC
😂 Don't worry about it mate. Pretty sure it's just the standard forum one many of us have.

Not the update I had planned. Was excitedly awaiting my plant delivery by DPD yesterday, delivery driver pulls up, rattles around in the back of his van for what must have been 6-7 minutes, then proceeds to get back in his seat and drive off! 😂
Apparently left my parcel at the depot. Really hoping it gets delivered this morning otherwise I guess I'll have another hassle on trying to sort it as I would imagine the plants won't be doing great.
In the mean time I did prepare the plants from my previous tank in First dip into a "proper" planted tank.
Was a ton of plants when I removed them, but by the time I got through removing poor looking leaves it looked like I had nothing left 😂. I was harsh though, a combination of my neglect of the tank in its final weeks and being sat in a tub for the past week took its toll. I was particularly impressed with the Anubis Nana. From starting with a single pot I have maybe 5 or 6 plants now the size of a hand.
IMG_20220607_101513_9.jpg
IMG_20220607_101504_0.jpg

Hopefully a more exciting update soon.

Hurry up already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Haha, might be a little delay as I had a minor disaster. With the delay in getting the plants the wood must have dried out too much.
Got it all planted up only for the wood to start moving around during the fill. Ruined the Scape and 80% of my planting.
I'm hoping the plants will be ok floating for a couple days while I get this wood sunk. It had been soaking for months prior to being out the water for a week so I'm hoping it won't take long to re sink. Not sure if anyone has experience with this scenario?

Yes I had this when I set up my tank before and just used large pieces of lava rock that I had laying about and weighed them down. After a few days it was fine. It is annoying, but that way you have time to adjust the tank layout over time.

Yes I had this when I set up my tank before and just used large pieces of lava rock that I had laying about and weighed them down. After a few days it was fine. It is annoying, but that way you have time to adjust the tank layout over time.
Yea I've currently got them pinned down under some cobbles. Trouble I've got is it's almost impossible to remake the Scape with everything wanting to float. Some pieces are too awkward a shape to keep rocks on top. This in turn means it's fruitless to replant as the wood isn't where it needs to be. I've also decided I need a little more sand, I noticed once filled the sand filtered through the bags and down crevices it left it shallow in certain areas to plant.

I'm most concerned about the plants at this point. Best part of £200 worth of plants and half of it is sitting on the surface. I just keep telling myself it'll be worth it in the end 😂

Back