• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioStyle 115

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Just wondering is anyone uses one of these?

My current filter seems to be on its last legs and looking for an alternative, and these looked decent.
Just wondering if they are reliable and quiet?

Cheers

Just saw a video on one of these for the first time the other day - kind of slipped under the radar. They look ideal with the easily serviceable sponge media. Do us a review if you get one Paulo!

Be interesting to see how they compare to the Seachem Tidals' which seem to have a very good reputation.

As one of mine just died and now using a crappy little internal for the time being! Just ordered one from @Captive Worlds so I will provide some feedback when it arrives and I have it up and running!

Sadly no way it will accommodate a heater.

Oh really - have you tried fitting one in then? That’s a shame, I was hopeful if might be possible to squeeze a slimline one, like a Aquel Ultra in the void at back behind the sponges.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in what you think on noise level when it arrives. I have an aquaclear but found it annoyingly noisy so I feed it from an internal pump instead of the built in one.

Filter arrived a week ago, just got it out of the box to fit the tank and the thing is huge! lol

285181190_2840261219612757_8764493917442780082_n.jpg
285037923_373152144655337_7568460238300690155_n.jpg

Going to use it on my 60l instead and get rid of the external filter that doesnt fit in the cabinet and is just seating next to the tank!

Got my 180 too the other day. Haven’t tried it yet, but whilst the design is good, the build quality is a bit ‘meh’!

The lug on the clear plastic inlet pipe snapped on the first attempt, it’s a really brittle section of pipe.

B410E5D7-9CBF-49C3-850A-85A68C8E36BA.jpeg

Luckily Aquadabra just sent me out a new part without question - great service from those guys.

The main body looks nice from a design perspective, but isn’t very rigid or sturdy and flexes under a firm grip. It remains to be seen how good the pump is.

I’m still unsure whether I’m going to be able to squeeze a small low profile Aquel heater in behind the sponges or not.

The main body looks nice from a design perspective, but isn’t very rigid or sturdy and flexes under a firm grip.
have to agree, but then again they are not the most expensive hang-ons out there! remember paying more for a smaller one off ebay a few years back!

It remains to be seen how good the pump is.
Got mine running and the flow is pretty decent, actually impressed with it, lets see how long the takes to clog up, I am not a fan of those cartridges filters though!, might juts replace it with a sponge of some sort like I did with my Oase internals!

Hi all,

I got the 75 version. I like the design and internal space that allowed to custom it. The flow is quite good but it is very noisy. I don’t know if it is normal. I really like almost no noise filters. Like eheim, aquael ultramax. For eg the biomaster is noisy canister for myself.

What about yours ?
Thanks

Hi all,

I got the 75 version. I like the design and internal space that allowed to custom it. The flow is quite good but it is very noisy. I don’t know if it is normal. I really like almost no noise filters. Like eheim, aquael ultramax. For eg the biomaster is noisy canister for myself.

What about yours ?
Thanks
Interesting! I was looking at getting some of these.

I have the 115, and I can only ear it if I get close to it, but then again there are a lot of ambient noises in my living room. It doesnt bother me.
What I always find with these type of filters is the lid always rattles a little, if you remove the lid it is always a lot quieter, you could wedge some thin sponge around the lid so it sits firmly in place!

I added rubber pads on all the parts in contact with the glass to avoid vibration transmission and also removed top cover but still noisy for me. But that’s true top cover generate more noise. I will wait for good cycling of the tank and remove it I think.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback ;)

Anyone had any issues with the motor/pump on their Biostyle?

Mine keeps cutting out intermittently. It fist happened a couple of months ago, so I cleaned the whole filter including the motor and impeller, and it worked fine for another month then randomly stopped again. Now it last about a week before stopping.

What is strange is cleaning the impeller and motor gets it going again. When I remove the impeller it’s clearly ‘stuck’ a bit with something stopping it turning, but when I remove it and clean it there is no visible debris (there isn’t really much biofilm after a week even).

I contacted the reseller, and they want me to send the whole thing back to them so they can test and if necessary issue a replacement filter! Marvellous - obviously I can’t be without a filter!

I figured it is just a faulty motor and/or impeller, so I asked the reseller if I could just buy them (can’t be expensive on a £50 filter . . . not currently available for purchase!

So I’ll try contacting Oase directly.

Anyone had any issues with the motor/pump on their Biostyle?
Been using mine for over 5 months now without any issues and flow pretty decent. Have not seen it stop by itself anytime.

Back