• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rhinogobius zhoui fry

The tank had a mature filter and some plants added,water tests were fine but for some reason I started to lose them...
Hi @MirandaB

I'm sorry to hear that. Were the water parameters in each of the tanks pretty much identical? And, do you mind my asking which water parameters you tested? Plenty of aeration? What about feeding - did that change in any way? It's obvious from previous posts that you are an experienced fishkeeper and breeder. So, when things like this happen, it makes it that much more difficult to pinpoint the cause, doesn't it?

JPC

Hi @MirandaB

I'm sorry to hear that. Were the water parameters in each of the tanks pretty much identical? And, do you mind my asking which water parameters you tested? Plenty of aeration? What about feeding - did that change in any way? It's obvious from previous posts that you are an experienced fishkeeper and breeder. So, when things like this happen, it makes it that much more difficult to pinpoint the cause, doesn't it?

JPC
Yes I'd matched the water exactly @jaypeecee,tested ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph,gh,kh and tds.
Flow was slightly more than they'd been used to in the breeding box but it was gentle and there's was good oxygenation going in,feeding was exactly as they'd been used to.
Initially I thought it might be because the tank was bare bottomed and the reflection might have confused/stressed them (breeder box is stainless mesh) so I added a light scattering of sand but to no avail.

New wild caught stock are here and settling in very well,so more breeding will commence in the not too distant future.
P1070305.JPG
P1070304.JPG

Very cool. I've zero experience with this sort of fish, but have you considered some indian almond leaves in with the fry? They provide a bit of cover and food source as they start to break down and get a bit of bio film and are meant to be a natural anti-fungal etc.

Very cool. I've zero experience with this sort of fish, but have you considered some indian almond leaves in with the fry? They provide a bit of cover and food source as they start to break down and get a bit of bio film and are meant to be a natural anti-fungal etc.
They have some pieces of clay pot to hide under,they're just removed for the photo :)
I might try some IAL leaves now they're moving about but for the start they need to be kept in pretty much sterile conditions and must be kept on a mesh base.

Back