• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Montecarlo help

Ash J

Hi all,

I'm looking for abit of advice as I seem to be really struggling with my Montecarlo, I've already lost about 50% of it through melt/rot and the other is barely hanging on.
Freshly planted.
IMG_20220415_120614.jpg
Now
IMG_20220504_113756.jpg IMG_20220504_113122.jpg IMG_20220504_113119.jpg IMG_20220504_113115.jpg
I'm EI dosing roughly 25ml Micro/Macro on alternate days over 6 days. 50% water changes every few days.
Co2 injection. Ignore the colour of the drop checker in the first "now" pic as I'd just changed the fluid. It's usually lime green by lights on. Chihiros wrgb2s running at roughly 50% 7 hr photo period.

I've also been playing around all week with spray bar positioning etc and have ultimately opted to use a regular outlet head as this seemed to give best co2 distribution all throughout the tank.

To note setup is only 3 weeks old and I used completely new tropica soil throughout. I read the ammonia release sometimes can cause carpeting plants to melt?

Could anyone please advise where I may be going wrong as I'm about to ditch what's in the tank currently and start again 😩.

Many thanks

Ash

Could do with more details tank size and filter output etc.
I would turn the light 5 to 6 hours max whilst the MoneCarlo (MC) get use to being under water.
Looks like it could be fluctuating [CO2] with inadequate flow/tank turnover to me ATM

Hi Zeus,
Tank size is 125ltr with a Oase Biomaster 350 (fully cycled) which is running fully open and a skimmer that has a 350 lph turnover.
I'd say prior to getting the skimmer and adjusting the filter output there were a number of dead spots in the tank but now I can see gentle plant movement all throughout the tank even at substrate level. That goes with the co2 also, since making the adjustments I can clearly see significant co2 mist/bubbles travelling all around the tank and at substrate level. However, most of the MC had already melted or looked in the state it does in the photos prior to me making the changes so I probably just need to give it more time to see if it regenerates. I've also read in a number of threads today that it's better to plant MC in very tiny portions? Which is not something I did.

Cheers

Ash

Bin the affected MC and take all the good pieces and float them on the surface for a few weeks, till the substrate matures!
I have 3 new pots of MC on the way, should I take this same approach or plant in much small portions?

Cheers

Ash

Personally, I would take them out the pots and clean the gel off and leave them floating for a few weeks!
This will encourage extra root growth, then plant in smaller clumps!
If its Invitro, some plants have trouble adapting, this can vary from species of plant and different set-ups!

Bin the affected MC and take all the good pieces and float them on the surface for a few weeks, till the substrate matures!
I have a spot that, overnight, appears to have melted back. Is it advisable to cut this section out? Is this something that can spread?
20220505_202524.jpg

Afternoon,

So about a week ago I bought some more MC with a few other plants. Heteranthera zosterifolia, Hydrocotyle tripartita (Japan), Hygrophila pinnatifida, Blyxa japonica and Hygrophila compact. All are doing great, especially the HT Japan which is growthing like crazy.

However, not the MC. I floated 2 bunches, 1 is a tissue culture, the other a planted pot. The floating tissue culture was doing ok but is now showing signs of melt, the MC from the pot went to mush within 5 days.

I also planted another pot of tissue culture in the substrate, the portions were much much smaller, spread out further apart and planted deep in the substrate so just a few leaves were showing. Everything seemed OK.. I was seeing growth and shoots appearing from the substrate from the MC until 2 days ago and the dreaded melt started again. Now 80% of the MC replanted has melted right through to the roots. Nothing was changed in the tank. I'm really struggling as to why I'm having so much issues with it when others seem to be able to grow it with ease.
If say co2 distrution was the issue, surely my other plants would be struggling yet all other plants are growing well apart from the MC. Or with immature substrate, would the MC be the only thing effected by this?

I'm starting to really hate MC 😠.

Back