• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

SAE or corydoris

Werwa

I know SAE and corydoras like to be kept in numbers and will stay together. I want to keep at least 4 so they are happy, but don’t really want 4 of each in the same tank. Will the SAEs also scavenge and act in place of corys to keep a large planted aquarium clean?

SAE and corys are not at all equals in my mind. Corydoras are much smaller and much less boisterous. They are also carnivores and bottom-dwellers. SAEs are omnivores, eating more algae while they are young. They will also become much bigger, more boisterous, and will swim throughout the tank.

Corys will not really keep a tank 'clean,' they will eat leftovers but that is it. SAEs will do more for cleaning (algae-wise), but they require more space and I've read of some people having bad experiences with their behavior

Also, how big is your tank?

120 gallons. I wanted the SAEs as this will be a heavily planted tank with CO2 and hitech lighting. I assumed algae will be inevitable and the SAEs would make sense. I don’t want to stress them by limiting the number. Same is true with the corydoras. I want to keep the fish load small; 15-20 rummynose tetras, three angels and didn’t want to have ultimately 8 fish for scavengering around. What would you suggest? Thank you.

Otos and corys go well and feed in different ways. Cory behaviour is adorable when you have enough of them. As above, they aren't really a clean up crew.

SAEs dont need to be kept in numbers were Corys are sociable fish and need to be kept in numbers of their own. You could keep a couple of juvenile SAEs or even one. They are active do a good algae job but not aggresive

I’d recommend a minimum of six for any corydoras, also as mentioned they’re no good as a clean up crew and need to be fed sinking food. SAE are good at algae eating when young but become large and boisterous and also become quite lazy. They also like eating moss and certain other plants.

I prefer inverts such as snails and shrimp for my clean up crew, I find they do a far better job. You will struggle with anything except for large amano shrimp with those angels though.

Cheers

Back