• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Darkness Into The Light

I heard the same complaint about my previous tank which was fully overgrown, so I got a new bigger tank where I could start from scratch ;) you could opt to redo part of the tank, like just the middle or something, and create more swimming space and interest there that way?

Hi all,
Both wife and son have told me this needs a Mega pruning, and sorting out as they think it is totally overgrown and no longer looks interesting............Any suggestions please.
I personally think it looks awesome!
I'be got to agree with @bazz, I know it sounds harsh, but keep the tank how it is and swap your family?

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I heard the same complaint about my previous tank which was fully overgrown, so I got a new bigger tank where I could start from scratch ;) you could opt to redo part of the tank, like just the middle or something, and create more swimming space and interest there that way?
The difficulty is that the six pieces of wood that are inter linked run virtually the full length of the tank. So to redo it would mean removing all six pieces. Which is practically a tear down of the tank.

So not sure what to do.

I think it really looks wonderful! If my family were that critical I would have had to drain the tank long ago..😅

Under this mass of plants are six inter linked pieces of wood covered in moss and trident fern.

I don't want to rip it down completely but I need to do something with it.

Any suggestions please.
Hi @REDSTEVEO

I'd want to leave your masterpiece as is. Tearing it down would be a bit like defacing the Mona Lisa. Well, maybe.

BTW, just a little snippet that came to mind when I saw the title of your creation. S/he who takes someone from (spiritual) darkness to light is the literal meaning of the word 'Guru'. 'gu' is darkness and 'ru' is light.

JPC

Hi @REDSTEVEO

I'd want to leave your masterpiece as is. Tearing it down would be a bit like defacing the Mona Lisa. Well, maybe.

BTW, just a little snippet that came to mind when I saw the title of your creation. S/he who takes someone from (spiritual) darkness to light is the literal meaning of the word 'Guru'. 'gu' is darkness and 'ru' is light.

JPC
Well I didn't know that. Every day is a school day.

I am not tearing it down, just sort of control freaking it a bit. I've just done a huge trim and prune. All plants bunched and bagged, at least £100.00 worth of Riccia Fluitans, plus moss, Altananthera Reineckii Min, all on its way shortly to my local LFS for £50.00 at least.

20211130_141920.jpg

This tank just keeps on giving. Everyone who visits just says how amazing it looks.
I suppose when you see it every day you don't quite appreciate it as much.

Much as I like Riccia Fluitans, it is becoming a bit of a nuisance, and sadly I'm still chucking a half bucket full away every two weeks.

It doesn't matter how much I chop out, it still comes back. Any tiny fragments just grow again into huge clumps.
20220328_181206.jpg
20220328_181202.jpg
20220328_181134.jpg
20220328_182440.jpg
20220328_182425.jpg

This tank finally reached saturation point. To the point where there was more plants than water. I had two choices, strip it down completely and start again; or remove at least two thirds of the plants.

I went for the latter option. So it has gone from this,
20220220_191459.jpg
20220220_191634.jpg

To this.

20220511_194818.jpg
20220511_194837.jpg
20220511_194918.jpg
20220511_194853.jpg

Back