• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chilli Rasbora fry!!

Steve Buce

Had a nice surprise in the rasbora/ buce tank, some fry
87E99460-18BF-40F9-BAA5-68117701DB62.jpeg
7726B279-307B-4766-819A-3CDEFACF3016.jpeg
A0813334-34B1-4174-BCF6-7B558173DFAB.jpeg
Usual piss poor pics I’m afraid

Some of the parents
2DB525D0-AEA1-4DE7-9A6F-E99C4BF9284D.jpeg
507123F6-53DE-44CF-BC2F-2FE7BF0EB98D.jpeg

feeding the tank baby brine shrimp and daphnia, fingers crossed I get more fry😀

Hi all,
But I’ve been doing w/c‘s with a mix of tap water and rainwater to lower TDS which is now 125
That's a great result getting them to breed, I would have expected proper blackwater conditions, and a real acid pH would have been required - so that gives me hope for the future!
That is really interesting. I've seen reports of them breeding, but always in very soft water, so I was expecting the same as @Wookii.
It is a lovely tank.

cheers Darrel

Lovely looking Chilli's @Steve Buce, nice and plump, one of my favourite fish. That's a great result getting them to breed, I would have expected proper blackwater conditions, and a real acid pH would have been required - so that gives me hope for the future!
I intend to do more rainwater w/c to continue to lower TDS and ph
I will also start to add more botanicals
I also stopped gravel vaccing and have left the mulm build up, unsightly yes but a home to lots of microfauna

Love it,
Where did you get your Sundadanio Axelrodi - neon blue rasbora, I believe these are the only shrimp friendly fish mentioned by the crustahunter himself.
I got them locally a while ago, had to worm them, lost a couple in quarantine

Horizon aquatics have them regularly and they ship nano fish I believe

would like to get more

:clap: Love it, it's something special when fry just appear without any intervention from the keeper it's like the pinnacle of fishkeeping. Hasn't happened for me with egg layers for so long I've forgot what that feels like. Maybe one day, I have six Chillis in a 50 ltr which have been there some time with shrimp and Sterbai, I'm hoping to get another 6 next week when I'm at MA, my local stores don't sell them apparently because they don't sell well when they're young, small and not so colourful. When they grow out they are lovely fish though for a small tank.
I wonder if weather plays a part? My Sterbai never show any breeding activity but the other day when there was a serious down pour, first for ages they started "T" ing up.

It’s a stunning tank! @Steve Buce how big is it? I’m planning a 60 litre tank and wondering about going rainwater so I can keep chillis
I don't think don't mind that much for living in not so sure about breeding. I tend to use rain water as much as possible so generally keep my tank around the 100 TDS area, rain being a scarcity lately I've been using tap so it's crept up to 200, soon get that back down now the storms are back. When I bought the Chillis the water they were in was in the 300's from MA.

Back